International Standard Bible EncyclopediaRIB
(tsela`, tsal`ah; Aramaic `ala`): The Hebrew words designate the "side," "flank," thence the "ribs." They are found thus translated only in connection with the creation of Eve: "He (Yahweh) took one of his (Adam's) ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof: and the rib, which Yahweh God had taken from the man, made he (margin "builded he into") a woman" (Genesis 2:21, 22). The Aramaic word is only found in Daniel 7:5.
Twice the Revised Version (British and American) uses the word "rib" in a figurative sense of two beams or rafters built in to the ark of the covenant and the altar of incense, on which the golden rings were fastened, which served to carry ark and altar by means of staves (Exodus 30:4; Exodus 37:27).
A curious mistranslation has crept into the King James Version, which here follows Jewish commentators or etymologists, in four passages in 2 Samuel (2:23; 3:27; 4:06; 20:10), where the "fifth rib" is mentioned as the place of the body under which spears or swords are thrust, so as to cause lethal wounds. The Hebrew word chomesh, which indeed means "fifth," is here a noun, derived from a root meaning "to be staunch," "stalwart," "stout" "fleshy," "obese" (compare chamush, "armed," "equipped soldier"; Arabic el khamis (el chamis), "the army," which, however, Arabic lexicographers explain as meaning "fivefold," namely, vanguard, right and left wing, center and rear guard). The word is to be translated "abdomen," "belly." the Revised Version (British and American) renders correctly "into the body."
H. L. E. Luering
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) One of the curved bones attached to the vertebral column and supporting the lateral walls of the thorax.
2. (n.) That which resembles a rib in form or use.
3. (n.) One of the timbers, or bars of iron or steel, that branch outward and upward from the keel, to support the skin or planking, and give shape and strength to the vessel.
4. (n.) A ridge, fin, or wing, as on a plate, cylinder, beam, etc., to strengthen or stiffen it.
5. (n.) One of the rods on which the cover of an umbrella is extended.
6. (n.) A prominent line or ridge, as in cloth.
7. (n.) A longitudinal strip of metal uniting the barrels of a double-barreled gun.
8. (n.) The chief nerve, or one of the chief nerves, of a leaf.
9. (n.) Any longitudinal ridge in a plant.
10. (n.) In Gothic vaulting, one of the primary members of the vault. These are strong arches, meeting and crossing one another, dividing the whole space into triangles, which are then filled by vaulted construction of lighter material. Hence, an imitation of one of these in wood, plaster, or the like.
11. (n.) A projecting mold, or group of moldings, forming with others a pattern, as on a ceiling, ornamental door, or the like.
12. (n.) Solid coal on the side of a gallery; solid ore in a vein.
13. (n.) An elongated pillar of ore or coal left as a support.
14. (n.) A wife; -- in allusion to Eve, as made out of Adam's rib.
15. (v. t.) To furnish with ribs; to form with rising lines and channels; as, to rib cloth.
16. (v. t.) To enclose, as with ribs, and protect; to shut in.
Strong's Hebrew7379. rib -- strife, disputerib
. << 7378, 7379. rib
. 7380 >>. strife, dispute. Transliteration: rib
Phonetic Spelling: (reeb) Short Definition: strife. ... /hebrew/7379.htm - 6k
6763. tsela -- rib, side
... rib, side. Transliteration: tsela Phonetic Spelling: (tsay-law') Short Definition:
side. ... beam, board, chamber, corner, leaf, plank, rib, side chamber. ...
/hebrew/6763.htm - 6k
5967. ala -- a rib
... << 5966, 5967. ala. 5968 >>. a rib. Transliteration: ala Phonetic Spelling:
(al-ah') Short Definition: ribs. ... rib. (Aramaic) corresponding to tsela'; a rib -- ...
/hebrew/5967.htm - 6k
7378. rib -- to strive, contend
rib or rub. << 7377, 7378. rib or rub. 7379 >>. to strive, contend. Transliteration:
rib or rub Phonetic Spelling: (reeb) Short Definition: contend. ...
/hebrew/7378.htm - 6k
7239. ribbo -- ten thousand, myriad
ribbo or ribbo. << 7238, 7239. ribbo or ribbo. 7240 >>. ten thousand, myriad.
Transliteration: ribbo or ribbo Phonetic Spelling: (rib-bo') Short Definition: 20000 ...
/hebrew/7239.htm - 6k
2570. chomesh -- belly
... fifth rib. From an unused root probably meaning, to be stout; the abdomen (as obese) --
fifth (rib). << 2569, 2570. chomesh. 2571 >>. Strong's Numbers.
/hebrew/2570.htm - 5k
7240. ribbo -- myriad
... << 7239, 7240. ribbo. 7241 >>. myriad. Transliteration: ribbo Phonetic Spelling:
(rib-bo') Short Definition: myriads. Word Origin (Aramaic ...
/hebrew/7240.htm - 6k
7247. Riblah -- a city in Hamath, also one on NE border of Isr.
... << 7246, 7247. Riblah. 7248 >>. a city in Hamath, also one on NE border of Isr.
Transliteration: Riblah Phonetic Spelling: (rib-law') Short Definition: Riblah. ...
/hebrew/7247.htm - 6k
7256. ribbea -- pertaining to the fourth
... << 7255, 7256. ribbea. 7257 >>. pertaining to the fourth. Transliteration: ribbea
Phonetic Spelling: (rib-bay'-ah) Short Definition: fourth. ...
/hebrew/7256.htm - 6k
7259. Ribqah -- wife of Isaac
... << 7258, 7259. Ribqah. 7260 >>. wife of Isaac. Transliteration: Ribqah Phonetic
Spelling: (rib-kaw') Short Definition: Rebekah. Word ...
/hebrew/7259.htm - 6k