International Standard Bible EncyclopediaSADDLE
sad'-'-l: As noun (merkabh, "a riding seat") the word occurs in Leviticus 15:9 (margin "carriage"); ordinarily it is used as a verb (chabhash, literally, to "bind up" or "gird about"), to saddle an ass (Genesis 22:3 Numbers 22:21 Judges 19:10, etc.).
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) A seat for a rider, -- usually made of leather, padded to span comfortably a horse's back, furnished with stirrups for the rider's feet to rest in, and fastened in place with a girth; also, a seat for the rider on a bicycle or tricycle.
2. (n.) A padded part of a harness which is worn on a horse's back, being fastened in place with a girth. It serves various purposes, as to keep the breeching in place, carry guides for the reins, etc.
3. (n.) A piece of meat containing a part of the backbone of an animal with the ribs on each side; as, a saddle of mutton, of venison, etc.
4. (n.) A block of wood, usually fastened to some spar, and shaped to receive the end of another spar.
5. (n.) A part, as a flange, which is hollowed out to fit upon a convex surface and serve as a means of attachment or support.
6. (n.) The clitellus of an earthworm.
7. (n.) The threshold of a door, when a separate piece from the floor or landing; -- so called because it spans and covers the joint between two floors.
8. (v. t.) To put a saddle upon; to equip (a beast) for riding.
9. (v. t.) Hence: To fix as a charge or burden upon; to load; to encumber; as, to saddle a town with the expense of bridges and highways.
Strong's Hebrew3733a. kar -- basket-saddle...
kar. 3733b >>. basket-saddle
. Transliteration: kar Short Definition: saddle
Origin from the same as kur Definition basket-saddle
NASB Word Usage saddle
(1 ... /hebrew/3733a.htm - 5k
3733. kar -- basket-saddle
... << 3732, 3733. kar. 3733a >>. basket-saddle. Transliteration: kar Phonetic Spelling:
(kar) Short Definition: captain. captain, furniture, lamb, large pasture, ram ...
/hebrew/3733.htm - 6k
2280. chabash -- to bind, bind on, bind up
... on, bind up NASB Word Usage bandage (1), bandaged (1), bind (5), binds (2), bound
(3), dams (1), gives relief (1), healer (1), rule (1), saddle (3), saddled (10 ...
/hebrew/2280.htm - 6k
4817. merkab -- a chariot, riding seat
... Word Origin from rakab Definition a chariot, riding seat NASB Word Usage chariots
(1), saddle (1), seat (1). chariot, covering, saddle. ...
/hebrew/4817.htm - 6k