International Standard Bible EncyclopediaSTILL
stil: "To be still" is "to keep silence" (Psalm 4:4, etc.) and so "to be quiet" (Psalm 107:29, etc.) or "inactive" in any way (Judges 18:9 1 Kings 22:3 Zechariah 1:11, etc.). So "be still" in Psalm 46:10 means "desist from your war" (compare the Revised Version margin "let be"). The "still small voice" of 1 Kings 19:12 (the Revised Version margin "sound of gentle stillness") is due to taking the Hebrew demamah in its literal force of "silent," but the word here means "whisper"-"a whispering, little voice." This familiar passage, however, has made "still voice" good English, and the combination is used in Job 4:16 by the Revised Version margin. In Psalm 23:2 the translation "still waters" takes "waters of rest" (so literally for menuchah; compare the Revised Version margin) to mean "waters with little motion." But the meaning is either "wells by which the flocks rest" or "wells that give refreshing water." As an adverb "still" is perhaps more emphatic than in modern English; compare "power to keep still the kingdom," 2 Chronicles 22:9 the King James Version (the Revised Version (British and American) "to hold the kingdom").
Burton Scott Easton
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) Motionless; at rest; quiet; as, to stand still; to lie or sit still.
2. (adv.) Uttering no sound; silent; as, the audience is still; the animals are still.
3. (adv.) Not disturbed by noise or agitation; quiet; calm; as, a still evening; a still atmosphere.
4. (adv.) Comparatively quiet or silent; soft; gentle; low.
5. (adv.) Constant; continual.
6. (adv.) Not effervescing; not sparkling; as, still wines.
7. (n.) Freedom from noise; calm; silence; as, the still of midnight.
8. (n.) A steep hill or ascent.
9. (v.) To this time; until and during the time now present; now no less than before; yet.
10. (a.) In the future as now and before.
11. (a.) In continuation by successive or repeated acts; always; ever; constantly; uniformly.
12. (a.) In an increasing or additional degree; even more; -- much used with comparatives.
13. (a.) Notwithstanding what has been said or done; in spite of what has occurred; nevertheless; -- sometimes used as a conjunction. See Synonym of But.
14. (a.) After that; after what is stated.
15. (v.) To stop, as motion or agitation; to cause to become quiet, or comparatively quiet; to check the agitation of; as, to still the raging sea.
16. (v.) To stop, as noise; to silence.
17. (v.) To appease; to calm; to quiet, as tumult, agitation, or excitement; as, to still the passions.
18. (n.) A vessel, boiler, or copper used in the distillation of liquids; specifically, one used for the distillation of alcoholic liquors; a retort. The name is sometimes applied to the whole apparatus used in vaporization and condensation.
19. (n.) A house where liquors are distilled; a distillery.
20. (v. t.) To cause to fall by drops.
21. (v. t.) To expel spirit from by heat, or to evaporate and condense in a refrigerator; to distill.
22. (v. i.) To drop, or flow in drops; to distill.
Strong's Hebrew2814. chashah -- to be silent, inactive, or still...
chashah. 2815 >>. to be silent, inactive, or still
. Transliteration: chashah Phonetic
Spelling: (khaw-shaw') Short Definition: silent. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/2814.htm - 6k
5750. od -- a going around, continuance, still, yet, again, beside
... od or od. 5751 >>. a going around, continuance, still, yet, again, beside.
Transliteration: od or od Phonetic Spelling: (ode) Short Definition: again. ...
/hebrew/5750.htm - 7k
1826a. damam -- to be or grow dumb, silent or still
... << 1826, 1826a. damam. 1826b >>. to be or grow dumb, silent or still.
Transliteration: damam Short Definition: silent. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/1826a.htm - 6k
5728. aden -- hitherto, still
aden or adenah. << 5727, 5728. aden or adenah. 5729 >>. hitherto, still.
Transliteration: aden or adenah Phonetic Spelling: (ad-en') Short Definition: still. ...
/hebrew/5728.htm - 6k
7623. shabach -- to soothe, still
... to soothe, still. Transliteration: shabach Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-bakh') Short
Definition: commend. commend, glory, keep in, praise, still, triumph ...
/hebrew/7623.htm - 5k
7623a. shabach -- to soothe, still
... to soothe, still. Transliteration: shabach Short Definition: holds. ... root Definition
to soothe, still NASB Word Usage holds (1), still (1), stills (1). ...
/hebrew/7623a.htm - 5k
1826. damam -- to be or grow dumb, silent or still
... << 1825, 1826. damam. 1826a >>. to be or grow dumb, silent or still. Transliteration:
damam Phonetic Spelling: (daw-man') Short Definition: cease. ...
/hebrew/1826.htm - 6k
5751. od -- still
... << 5750, 5751. od. 5752 >>. still. Transliteration: od Phonetic Spelling: (ode)
Short Definition: while. Word Origin (Aramaic) corresponding ...
/hebrew/5751.htm - 6k
2013. has -- hush! keep silence!
... NASB Word Usage keep quiet (1), keep silence (1), quieted (1), silence (1), silent
(3), still (1). hold peace tongue, keep silence, be silent, still. ...
/hebrew/2013.htm - 6k
5975. amad -- to take one's stand, stand
... 2), retains (1), rise (2), rose (1), serve (1), served (3), served* (4), service*
(3), serving (1), set (12), sets (3), stand (121), stand still (1), standing ...
/hebrew/5975.htm - 7k