Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) The part of a tree or plant remaining in the earth after the stem or trunk is cut off; the stub.
2. (n.) The part of a limb or other body remaining after a part is amputated or destroyed; a fixed or rooted remnant; a stub; as, the stump of a leg, a finger, a tooth, or a broom.
3. (n.) The legs; as, to stir one's stumps.
4. (n.) One of the three pointed rods stuck in the ground to form a wicket and support the bails.
5. (n.) A short, thick roll of leather or paper, cut to a point, or any similar implement, used to rub down the lines of a crayon or pencil drawing, in shading it, or for shading drawings by producing tints and gradations from crayon, etc., in powder.
6. (n.) A pin in a tumbler lock which forms an obstruction to throwing the bolt, except when the gates of the tumblers are properly arranged, as by the key; a fence; also, a pin or projection in a lock to form a guide for a movable piece.
7. (v. t.) To cut off a part of; to reduce to a stump; to lop.
8. (v. t.) To strike, as the toes, against a stone or something fixed; to stub.
9. (v. t.) To challenge; also, to nonplus.
10. (v. t.) To travel over, delivering speeches for electioneering purposes; as, to stump a State, or a district. See To go on the stump, under Stump, n.
11. (n.) To put (a batsman) out of play by knocking off the bail, or knocking down the stumps of the wicket he is defending while he is off his allotted ground; -- sometimes with out.
12. (n.) To bowl down the stumps of, as, of a wicket.
13. (v. i.) To walk clumsily, as if on stumps.
Strong's Hebrew4676. matstsebah -- a pillar, stump...
<< 4675, 4676. matstsebah. 4677 >>. a pillar, stump
. Transliteration: matstsebah
Phonetic Spelling: (mats-tsay-baw') Short Definition: pillar. ... /hebrew/4676.htm - 6k
2180. zanab -- tail, end, stump
... << 2179, 2180. zanab. 2181 >>. tail, end, stump. Transliteration: zanab Phonetic
Spelling: (zaw-nawb') Short Definition: tail. Word Origin ...
/hebrew/2180.htm - 6k
6136. iqqar -- root, stock
... root, stock. Transliteration: iqqar Phonetic Spelling: (ik-kar') Short Definition:
stump. stump (Aramaic) from aqar; a stock -- stump. see HEBREW aqar. ...
/hebrew/6136.htm - 5k
1503. geza -- a stock, stem
... Word Origin from an unused word Definition a stock, stem NASB Word Usage
stem (1), stock (1), stump (1). stem, stock. From an unused ...
/hebrew/1503.htm - 6k
6136a. iqqar -- root, stock
... root, stock. Transliteration: iqqar Short Definition: stump. Word Origin (Aramaic)
corresponding to eqer Definition root, stock NASB Word Usage stump (3). ...
/hebrew/6136a.htm - 5k