Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) The act of employing anything, or of applying it to one's service; the state of being so employed or applied; application; employment; conversion to some purpose; as, the use of a pen in writing; his machines are in general use.
2. (v. t.) Occasion or need to employ; necessity; as, to have no further use for a book.
3. (v. t.) Yielding of service; advantage derived; capability of being used; usefulness; utility.
4. (v. t.) Continued or repeated practice; customary employment; usage; custom; manner; habit.
5. (v. t.) Common occurrence; ordinary experience.
6. (n.) The special form of ritual adopted for use in any diocese; as, the Sarum, or Canterbury, use; the Hereford use; the York use; the Roman use; etc.
7. (n.) The premium paid for the possession and employment of borrowed money; interest; usury.
8. (n.) The benefit or profit of lands and tenements. Use imports a trust and confidence reposed in a man for the holding of lands. He to whose use or benefit the trust is intended shall enjoy the profits. An estate is granted and limited to A for the use of B.
9. (n.) A stab of iron welded to the side of a forging, as a shaft, near the end, and afterward drawn down, by hammering, so as to lengthen the forging.
10. (v. t.) To make use of; to convert to one's service; to avail one's self of; to employ; to put a purpose; as, to use a plow; to use a chair; to use time; to use flour for food; to use water for irrigation.
11. (v. t.) To behave toward; to act with regard to; to treat; as, to use a beast cruelly.
12. (v. t.) To practice customarily; to make a practice of; as, to use diligence in business.
13. (v. t.) To accustom; to habituate; to render familiar by practice; to inure; -- employed chiefly in the passive participle; as, men used to cold and hunger; soldiers used to hardships and danger.
14. (v. i.) To be wont or accustomed; to be in the habit or practice; as, he used to ride daily; -- now disused in the present tense, perhaps because of the similarity in sound, between use to, and used to.
15. (v. i.) To be accustomed to go; to frequent; to inhabit; to dwell; -- sometimes followed by of.
Strong's Hebrew4911b. mashal -- to use a proverb, speak in parables or sentences ......
<< 4911a, 4911b. mashal. 4912 >>. to use
a proverb, speak in parables or sentences
of poetry. Transliteration: mashal Short Definition: speak. ... /hebrew/4911b.htm - 6k
3231. yaman -- to go to or choose the right, to use the right hand
... << 3230, 3231. yaman. 3232 >>. to go to or choose the right, to use the right hand.
Transliteration: yaman Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-man') Short Definition: right ...
/hebrew/3231.htm - 6k
5532a. sakan -- to be of use or service, benefit
... << 5532, 5532a. sakan. 5532b >>. to be of use or service, benefit.
Transliteration: sakan Short Definition: nurse. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5532a.htm - 5k
3898b. lacham -- to use as food, eat
... to use as food, eat. Transliteration: lacham Short Definition: eat. ... root Definition
to use as food, eat NASB Word Usage consumed (1), dine (1), eat (4). ...
/hebrew/3898b.htm - 5k
3960. lashan -- to use the tongue, slander
... << 3959, 3960. lashan. 3961 >>. to use the tongue, slander. Transliteration: lashan
Phonetic Spelling: (law-shan') Short Definition: slander. ...
/hebrew/3960.htm - 6k
5532. cakan -- to be of use or service, benefit
... << 5531, 5532. cakan. 5532a >>. to be of use or service, benefit. Transliteration:
cakan Phonetic Spelling: (saw-kan') Short Definition: benefit. ...
/hebrew/5532.htm - 5k
4911. mashal -- to represent, be like
... Short Definition: like. become like, compare, use as a proverb, speak in proverbs,
utter Denominative from mashal; to liken, ie (transitively ...
/hebrew/4911.htm - 5k
7080. qasam -- to practice divination
... divination NASB Word Usage conjure (1), divination (2), divine (2), diviner (2),
diviners (7), divining (1), practice (1), practiced (1), use (1), uses (1 ...
/hebrew/7080.htm - 6k
2490c. chalal -- to pollute, defile, profane
... root Definition to pollute, defile, profane NASB Word Usage became* (1), began
(30), begin (10), begin to use its fruit (2), beginning (3), begun (7), begun to ...
/hebrew/2490c.htm - 6k
5172. nachash -- to practice divination, observe signs
... certainly, divine, enchanter, use enchantment, learn by experience, diligently
observe. A primitive root; properly, to hiss, ie Whisper ...
/hebrew/5172.htm - 6k