International Standard Bible EncyclopediaCHOP
Figurative: This word, meaning "to cut in pieces," "to distribute," often translated "spread," is rendered "chop" in Micah 3:3, they "chop them in pieces, as for the pot," figuratively for the destruction of God's people through the cruel exactions of their rulers.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (v. t.
) To cut by striking repeatedly with a sharp instrument; to cut into pieces; to mince; -- often with up.
2. (v. t.) To sever or separate by one more blows of a sharp instrument; to divide; -- usually with off or down.
3. (v. t.) To seize or devour greedily; -- with up.
4. (v. i.) To make a quick strike, or repeated strokes, with an ax or other sharp instrument.
5. (v. i.) To do something suddenly with an unexpected motion; to catch or attempt to seize.
6. (v. i.) To interrupt; -- with in or out.
7. (v. i.) To barter or truck.
8. (v. i.) To exchange; substitute one thing for another.
9. (v. i.) To purchase by way of truck.
10. (v. i.) To vary or shift suddenly; as, the wind chops about.
11. (v. i.) To wrangle; to altercate; to bandy words.
12. (n.) A change; a vicissitude.
13. (v. t. & i.) To crack. See Chap, v. t. & i.
14. (n.) The act of chopping; a stroke.
15. (n.) A piece chopped off; a slice or small piece, especially of meat; as, a mutton chop.
16. (n.) A crack or cleft. See Chap.
17. (n.) A jaw of an animal; -- commonly in the pl. See Chops.
18. (n.) A movable jaw or cheek, as of a wooden vise.
19. (n.) The land at each side of the mouth of a river, harbor, or channel; as, East Chop or West Chop. See Chops.
20. (n.) Quality; brand; as, silk of the first chop.
21. (n.) A permit or clearance.
Strong's Hebrew6566. paras -- to spread out, spread...
root Definition to spread out, spread NASB Word Usage chop
(1), dispersed (1), displays
(1), extended (2), extends (1), scattered (2), spread (47), spreading (3 ... /hebrew/6566.htm - 6k
1334. bathar -- to cut in two
... Word Origin a prim. root Definition to cut in two NASB Word Usage cut (2). divide.
A primitive root, to chop up -- divide. << 1333, 1334. bathar. 1335 >>. ...
/hebrew/1334.htm - 5k
7094. qatsab -- to cut off, shear
... cut down, shorn. A primitive root; to clip, or (generally) chop -- cut down,
shorn. << 7093, 7094. qatsab. 7095 >>. Strong's Numbers.
/hebrew/7094.htm - 5k
7112. qatsats -- cut off
... cut asunder, in pieces, in sunder, off, utmost. A primitive root; to chop off
(literally or figuratively) -- cut (asunder, in pieces, in sunder, off), X utmost. ...
/hebrew/7112.htm - 6k
2686. chatsats -- to divide
... A primitive root (compare chatsah); properly, to chop into, pierce or sever;
hence, to curtail, to distribute (into ranks); as denom. ...
/hebrew/2686.htm - 5k
2404. chatab -- to cut or gather wood
... cut down, hewer, polish. A primitive root; to chop or carve wood -- cut down,
hew(-er), polish. << 2403b, 2404. chatab. 2405 >>. Strong's Numbers.
/hebrew/2404.htm - 6k
1414. gedad -- to hew down
... Definition: down. Word Origin (Aramaic) corresponding to gadad Definition to
hew down NASB Word Usage chop down (2). hew down. (Aramaic ...
/hebrew/1414.htm - 6k