Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) The thong or braided cord of a whip, with which the blow is given.
2. (n.) A leash in which an animal is caught or held; hence, a snare.
3. (n.) A stroke with a whip, or anything pliant and tough; as, the culprit received thirty-nine lashes.
4. (n.) A stroke of satire or sarcasm; an expression or retort that cuts or gives pain; a cut.
5. (n.) A hair growing from the edge of the eyelid; an eyelash.
6. (n.) In carpet weaving, a group of strings for lifting simultaneously certain yarns, to form the figure.
7. (v. t.) To strike with a lash ; to whip or scourge with a lash, or with something like one.
8. (v. t.) To strike forcibly and quickly, as with a lash; to beat, or beat upon, with a motion like that of a lash; as, a whale lashes the sea with his tail.
9. (v. t.) To throw out with a jerk or quickly.
10. (v. t.) To scold; to berate; to satirize; to censure with severity; as, to lash vice.
11. (v. i.) To ply the whip; to strike; to utter censure or sarcastic language.
12. (n.) To bind with a rope, cord, thong, or chain, so as to fasten; as, to lash something to a spar; to lash a pack on a horse's back.
Strong's Hebrew4754. mara -- perhaps to flap (the wings)...
A primitive root; to rebel; hence (through the idea of maltreating) to whip, ie Lash
(self with wings, as the ostrich in running) -- be filthy, lift up self. ... /hebrew/4754.htm - 6k
7751. shuwt -- to go or rove about
... A primitive root; properly, to push forth; (but used only figuratively) to lash,
ie (the sea with oars) to row; by implication, to travel -- go (about, through ...
/hebrew/7751.htm - 5k
6428. palash -- (act of mourning) perhaps to roll in
... palash. 6429 >>. (act of mourning) perhaps to roll in. Transliteration: palash Phonetic
Spelling: (paw-lash') Short Definition: roll. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/6428.htm - 6k
2522. chalash -- to be weak or prostrate
... << 2521, 2522. chalash. 2523 >>. to be weak or prostrate. Transliteration: chalash
Phonetic Spelling: (khaw-lash') Short Definition: prostrate. Word Origin a prim ...
/hebrew/2522.htm - 6k
8027. shalash -- to do a third time, divide into three parts
... << 8026b, 8027. shalash. 8028 >>. to do a third time, divide into three parts.
Transliteration: shalash Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-lash') Short Definition: old. ...
/hebrew/8027.htm - 6k
1570. galash -- to recline
... << 1569, 1570. galash. 1571 >>. to recline. Transliteration: galash Phonetic Spelling:
(gaw-lash') Short Definition: descended. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/1570.htm - 5k
7752. shot -- a scourge, whip
... scourge, whip. From shuwt; a lash (literally or figuratively) -- scourge, whip.
see HEBREW shuwt. << 7751c, 7752. shot. 7753 >>. Strong's Numbers.
/hebrew/7752.htm - 6k