International Standard Bible EncyclopediaHELP
With the sense of that which brings aid, support, or deliverance, "help" (noun and vb.) represents a large variety of words in Hebrew and Greek (noun 7, verb 16). A principal Hebrew word is `azar, "to help," with the corresponding nouns `ezer, `ezrah; a chief Greek word is boetheo (Matthew 15:25 Mark 9:22, 24, etc.). True help is to be sought for in Yahweh, in whom, in the Old Testament, the believer is constantly exhorted to trust, with the renouncing of all other confidences (Psalm 20:2; Psalm 33:20; Psalm 42:5; Psalm 46:1; 115:9, 10, 11; 121:2 Isaiah 41:10, 13, 14, etc.). In Romans 8:26 it is said, "the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity," the verb here (sunantilambanetai) having the striking meaning of to "take hold along with one." In the story of Eden, Eve is spoken of as "a help meet" for Adam (Genesis 2:18, 20). The idea in "meet" is not so much "suitability," though that is implied, as likeness, correspondence in nature (Vulgate, similem sibi). One like himself, as taken from him, the woman would be an aid and companion to the man in his tasks.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (v. t.
) To furnish with strength or means for the successful performance of any action or the attainment of any object; to aid; to assist; as, to help a man in his work; to help one to remember; -- the following infinitive is commonly used without to; as, Help me scale yon balcony.
2. (v. t.) To furnish with the means of deliverance from trouble; as, to help one in distress; to help one out of prison.
3. (v. t.) To furnish with relief, as in pain or disease; to be of avail against; -- sometimes with of before a word designating the pain or disease, and sometimes having such a word for the direct object.
4. (v. t.) To change for the better; to remedy.
5. (v. t.) To prevent; to hinder; as, the evil approaches, and who can help it?
6. (v. t.) To forbear; to avoid.
7. (v. t.) To wait upon, as the guests at table, by carving and passing food.
8. (v. i.) To lend aid or assistance; to contribute strength or means; to avail or be of use; to assist.
9. (v. t.) Strength or means furnished toward promoting an object, or deliverance from difficulty or distress; aid; ^; also, the person or thing furnishing the aid; as, he gave me a help of fifty dollars.
10. (v. t.) Remedy; relief; as, there is no help for it.
11. (n.) A helper; one hired to help another; also, the hole force of hired helpers in any business.
12. (v. t.) Specifically, a domestic servant, man or woman.
Strong's Hebrew7768. shava -- to cry out (for help)...
<< 7767, 7768. shava. 7769 >>. to cry out (for help
). Transliteration: shava Phonetic
Spelling: (shaw-vah') Short Definition: cry. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/7768.htm - 6k
5826. azar -- to help, succor
... << 5825, 5826. azar. 5827 >>. to help, succor. Transliteration: azar Phonetic
Spelling: (aw-zar') Short Definition: help. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5826.htm - 6k
5828. ezer -- a help, helper
... << 5827, 5828. ezer. 5829 >>. a help, helper. Transliteration: ezer Phonetic
Spelling: (ay'-zer) Short Definition: help. Word Origin ...
/hebrew/5828.htm - 6k
5833. ezrah -- help, helper, assistance
... ezrah or ezrath. 5834 >>. help, helper, assistance. Transliteration: ezrah or ezrath
Phonetic Spelling: (ez-raw') Short Definition: help. Word Origin fem. ...
/hebrew/5833.htm - 6k
360. eyaluth -- my help
... eyaluth. 361 >>. my help. Transliteration: eyaluth Phonetic Spelling: (eh-yaw-looth')
Short Definition: help. ... of eyal Definition my help NASB Word Usage help (1) ...
/hebrew/360.htm - 6k
7769. shua -- a cry for help
... << 7768, 7769. shua. 7770 >>. a cry for help. Transliteration: shua Phonetic
Spelling: (shoo'-ah) Short Definition: help. Word Origin ...
/hebrew/7769.htm - 6k
3134. Yoezer -- "the LORD is a help," one of David's mighty men
... << 3133, 3134. Yoezer. 3135 >>. "the LORD is a help," one of David's mighty men.
Transliteration: Yoezer Phonetic Spelling: (yo-eh'-zer) Short Definition: Joezer ...
/hebrew/3134.htm - 6k
7125. qirah -- against he come, help, meet, seek, to, in the way
... << 7124, 7125. qirah. 7126 >>. against he come, help, meet, seek, to, in the way.
Transliteration: qirah Phonetic Spelling: (keer-aw') Short Definition: seek. ...
/hebrew/7125.htm - 6k
44. Abiezer -- "my father is help," a Manassite, also a Benjamite
... Abiezer. 45 >>. "my father is help," a Manassite, also a Benjamite. Transliteration:
Abiezer Phonetic Spelling: (ab-ee-ay'-zer) Short Definition: Abiezer. ...
/hebrew/44.htm - 6k
461. Eliezer -- "God is help," the name of several Israelites ...
... "God is help," the name of several Israelites, also of a Damascene. Transliteration:
Eliezer Phonetic Spelling: (el-ee-eh'-zer) Short Definition: Eliezer. ...
/hebrew/461.htm - 6k