International Standard Bible EncyclopediaAT ONE
eis eirenen, "at one," ("at peace"): "Set them at one again" (Acts 7:26), the reconciliation of persons at variance. From this adverb we have the words "atone" and "atonement."
Nearly all peoples who have expressed their religious thought and feeling believe in a spirit that presides over the destinies of men for their good. They believe that there is also a spirit, a person, whose work it is to lead men into temptation: a spirit of light and a spirit of darkness. Feelings and preferences may have much to do with the conclusions. In Matthew 5:37, 39, 45; Matthew 6:13, the King James Version gives "evil," the Revised Version (British and American) "the evil one," margin, "evil," the personal form referring to the enemy of the race known by various terms: Satan, "the adversary" or "the accuser," occurs 50 times; Beelzebub is found 7 times; devil, 35 times; it means "accuser," "calumniator."
David Roberts Duncan
See GOD, NAMES OF.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) Being a single unit, or entire being or thing, and no more; not multifold; single; individual.
2. (a.) Denoting a person or thing conceived or spoken of indefinitely; a certain. I am the sister of one Claudio [Shak.], that is, of a certain man named Claudio.
3. (a.) Pointing out a contrast, or denoting a particular thing or person different from some other specified; -- used as a correlative adjective, with or without the.
4. (a.) Closely bound together; undivided; united; constituting a whole.
5. (a.) Single in kind; the same; a common.
6. (a.) Single; unmarried.
7. (n.) A single unit; as, one is the base of all numbers.
8. (n.) A symbol representing a unit, as 1, or i.
9. (n.) A single person or thing.
10. (indef. pron.) Any person, indefinitely; a person or body; as, what one would have well done, one should do one's self.
11. (v. t.) To cause to become one; to gather into a single whole; to unite; to assimilate.
12. (n.) A suffix indicating that the substance, in the name of which it appears, is a ketone; as, acetone.
13. (n.) A termination indicating that the hydrocarbon to the name of which it is affixed belongs to the fourth series of hydrocarbons, or the third series of unsaturated hydrocarbons as, nonone.
Strong's Hebrew259. echad -- one...
<< 258, 259. echad. 260 >>. one
. Transliteration: echad Phonetic Spelling:
(ekh-awd') Short Definition: one
. Word Origin a prim. card. ... /hebrew/259.htm - 7k
2298. chad -- one
... << 2297, 2298. chad. 2299 >>. one. Transliteration: chad Phonetic Spelling: (khad)
Short Definition: one. Word Origin (Aramaic) corresponding ...
/hebrew/2298.htm - 6k
2297. chad -- one
... chad. 2298 >>. one. Transliteration: chad Phonetic Spelling: (khad) Short Definition:
one. Word Origin short form of echad Definition one NASB Word Usage one (1 ...
/hebrew/2297.htm - 5k
1435. Giddel -- "very great," one of the Nethinim, also one of ...
... "very great," one of the Nethinim, also one of Solomon's servants. Transliteration:
Giddel Phonetic Spelling: (ghid-dale') Short Definition: Giddel. ...
/hebrew/1435.htm - 6k
492. almoni -- someone, a certain (one)
... << 491, 492. almoni. 493 >>. someone, a certain (one). Transliteration: almoni Phonetic
Spelling: (al-mo-nee') Short Definition: certain. ... one, and such. ...
/hebrew/492.htm - 6k
2540. Chammon -- "hot (spring)," two cities, one in Asher and one ...
... Chammon. 2541 >>. "hot (spring)," two cities, one in Asher and one in Naphtali.
Transliteration: Chammon Phonetic Spelling: (kham-mone') Short Definition: Hammon ...
/hebrew/2540.htm - 6k
258. achad -- go one way or other
... << 257, 258. achad. 259 >>. go one way or other. Transliteration: achad Phonetic
Spelling: (aw-khad') Short Definition: collect. ... go one way or other ...
/hebrew/258.htm - 5k
5303. Nephilim -- "giants," name of two peoples, one before the ...
Nephilim or Nephilim. << 5302, 5303. Nephilim or Nephilim. 5304 >>. "giants," name
of two peoples, one before the flood and one after the flood. Transliteration ...
/hebrew/5303.htm - 6k
6423. peloni -- a certain one
... a certain one. Transliteration: peloni Phonetic Spelling: (pel-o-nee') Short Definition:
certain. ... such. From palah; such a one, ie A specified peccrson -- such. ...
/hebrew/6423.htm - 6k
667. ephroach -- a young one
... << 666, 667. ephroach. 668 >>. a young one. Transliteration: ephroach Phonetic
Spelling: (ef-ro'-akh) Short Definition: young. ... young one. ...
/hebrew/667.htm - 6k