Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (v. t.
) To rub over the surface of (something) with a sharp or rough instrument; to rub over with something that roughens by removing portions of the surface; to grate harshly over; to abrade; to make even, or bring to a required condition or form, by moving the sharp edge of an instrument breadthwise over the surface with pressure, cutting away excesses and superfluous parts; to make smooth or clean; as, to scrape a bone with a knife; to scrape a metal plate to an even surface.
2. (v. t.) To remove by rubbing or scraping (in the sense above).
3. (v. t.) To collect by, or as by, a process of scraping; to gather in small portions by laborious effort; hence, to acquire avariciously and save penuriously; -- often followed by together or up; as, to scrape money together.
4. (v. t.) To express disapprobation of, as a play, or to silence, as a speaker, by drawing the feet back and forth upon the floor; -- usually with down.
5. (v. i.) To rub over the surface of anything with something which roughens or removes it, or which smoothes or cleans it; to rub harshly and noisily along.
6. (v. i.) To occupy one's self with getting laboriously; as, he scraped and saved until he became rich.
7. (v. i.) To play awkwardly and inharmoniously on a violin or like instrument.
8. (v. i.) To draw back the right foot along the ground or floor when making a bow.
9. (n.) The act of scraping; also, the effect of scraping, as a scratch, or a harsh sound; as, a noisy scrape on the floor; a scrape of a pen.
10. (n.) A drawing back of the right foot when bowing; also, a bow made with that accompaniment.
11. (n.) A disagreeable and embarrassing predicament out of which one can not get without undergoing, as it were, a painful rubbing or scraping; a perplexity; a difficulty.
Strong's Hebrew5500. sachah -- to scrape...
sachah. 5501 >>. to scrape
. Transliteration: sachah Phonetic Spelling: (saw-khaw')
Short Definition: scrape
root Definition to scrape
NASB Word Usage scrape
(1) ... /hebrew/5500.htm - 5k
1623. garad -- to scrape, scratch
... to scrape, scratch. Transliteration: garad Phonetic Spelling: (gaw-rad') Short
Definition: scrape. ... root Definition to scrape, scratch NASB Word Usage scrape (1). ...
/hebrew/1623.htm - 5k
7106. qatsa' -- to scrape, scrape off
... << 7105b, 7106. qatsa'. 7106a >>. to scrape, scrape off. Transliteration: qatsa'
Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-tsah') Short Definition: scrape. cause to scrape, corner ...
/hebrew/7106.htm - 5k
7106a. qatsa -- to scrape, scrape off
... qatsa. 7106b >>. to scrape, scrape off. Transliteration: qatsa Short Definition:
scraped. ... root Definition to scrape, scrape off NASB Word Usage scraped (1). ...
/hebrew/7106a.htm - 5k
4448b. malal -- to rub, scrape
... malal. 4448c >>. to rub, scrape. Transliteration: malal Short Definition: signals.
Word Origin a prim. root Definition to rub, scrape NASB Word Usage signals (1 ...
/hebrew/4448b.htm - 5k
7287b. radah -- to scrape out
... radah. 7288 >>. to scrape out. Transliteration: radah Short Definition: scraped.
Word Origin a prim. root Definition to scrape out NASB Word Usage scraped (2). ...
/hebrew/7287b.htm - 5k
7096. qatsah -- to cut off
... root Definition to cut off NASB Word Usage cut off (1), cuts off (1), cutting off
(1), scrape off (1), scraped (1). cut off, cut short, scrape off. ...
/hebrew/7096.htm - 6k
5502. sachaph -- prostrate
... root Definition prostrate NASB Word Usage become prostrate (1), driving (1). sweep
away. A primitive root; to scrape off -- sweep (away). << 5501b, 5502. ...
/hebrew/5502.htm - 5k
5595. saphah -- to sweep or snatch away, catch up
... A primitive root; properly, to scrape (literally, to shave; but usually figuratively)
together (ie To accumulate or increase) or away (ie To scatter, remove ...
/hebrew/5595.htm - 6k
1639. gara -- to diminish, restrain, withdraw
... A primitive root; to scrape off; by implication, to shave, remove, lessen, withhold --
abate, clip, (di-)minish, do (take) away, keep back, restrain, make small ...
/hebrew/1639.htm - 6k