Easton's Bible Dictionary
One of the particulars regarding which retaliatory punishment was to be inflicted (Exodus 21:24
; Leviticus 24:20
; Deuteronomy 19:21
). "Gnashing of teeth" =rage, despair (Matthew 8:12
; Acts 7:54
); "cleanness of teeth" =famine (Amos 4:6
); "children's teeth set on edge" =children suffering for the sins of their fathers (Ezek. 18:2
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) One of the hard, bony appendages which are borne on the jaws, or on other bones in the walls of the mouth or pharynx of most vertebrates, and which usually aid in the prehension and mastication of food.
2. (n.) Fig.: Taste; palate.
3. (n.) Any projection corresponding to the tooth of an animal, in shape, position, or office; as, the teeth, or cogs, of a cogwheel; a tooth, prong, or tine, of a fork; a tooth, or the teeth, of a rake, a saw, a file, a card.
4. (n.) A projecting member resembling a tenon, but fitting into a mortise that is only sunk, not pierced through.
5. (n.) One of several steps, or offsets, in a tusk. See Tusk.
6. (n.) An angular or prominence on any edge; as, a tooth on the scale of a fish, or on a leaf of a plant
7. (n.) one of the appendages at the mouth of the capsule of a moss. See Peristome.
8. (n.) Any hard calcareous or chitinous organ found in the mouth of various invertebrates and used in feeding or procuring food; as, the teeth of a mollusk or a starfish.
9. (v. t.) To furnish with teeth.
10. (v. t.) To indent; to jag; as, to tooth a saw.
11. (v. t.) To lock into each other. See Tooth, n., 4.
Strong's Hebrew8127. shen -- tooth, ivory...
<< 8126, 8127. shen. 8128 >>. tooth
, ivory. Transliteration: shen Phonetic Spelling:
(shane) Short Definition: teeth. ...
crag, forefront, ivory, sharp, tooth
. ... /hebrew/8127.htm - 6k
8128. shen -- tooth
... shen. 8129 >>. tooth. Transliteration: shen Phonetic Spelling: (shane) Short Definition:
teeth. ... tooth. (Aramaic) corresponding to shen; a tooth -- tooth. ...
/hebrew/8128.htm - 6k
4459. maltaah -- great tooth
... maltaah. 4460 >>. great tooth. Transliteration: maltaah Phonetic Spelling:
(mal-taw-aw') Short Definition: tooth. Word Origin transp. ... great tooth Transp. ...
/hebrew/4459.htm - 5k
6374. piphiyyoth -- tooth, two-edged
... << 6373, 6374. piphiyyoth. 6375 >>. tooth, two-edged. Transliteration: piphiyyoth
Phonetic Spelling: (pee-fee-yaw') Short Definition: tooth. ... tooth, two-edged ...
/hebrew/6374.htm - 5k
8129. Shen -- "tooth," a place near Mizpah
... << 8128, 8129. Shen. 8130 >>. "tooth," a place near Mizpah. Transliteration:
Shen Phonetic Spelling: (shane) Short Definition: Shen. ...
/hebrew/8129.htm - 6k
4973. methalleoth -- teeth
... cheek jaw tooth, jaw. Contr. From yala'; properly, a biter, ie A tooth -- cheek
(jaw) tooth, jaw. see HEBREW yala'. << 4972, 4973. methalleoth. 4974 >>. ...
/hebrew/4973.htm - 6k
8143. shenhabbim -- ivory
... ivory. From shen and the plural apparently of a foreign word; probably, tooth of
elephants, ie Ivory tusk -- ivory. see HEBREW shen. << 8142, 8143. ...
/hebrew/8143.htm - 6k
7161. qeren -- a horn
... An elephant's tooth (ie Ivory), a corner (of the altar), a peak (of a mountain),
a ray (of light); figuratively, power -- X hill, horn. see HEBREW qaran. ...
/hebrew/7161.htm - 6k
6248. ashtuth -- thought
... << 6247, 6248. ashtuth. 6249 >>. thought. Transliteration: ashtuth Phonetic
Spelling: (ash-tooth') Short Definition: holds. Word Origin ...
/hebrew/6248.htm - 6k
4388. maktesh -- mortar
... hollow place, mortar. From kathash; a mortar; by analogy, a socket (of a tooth) --
hollow place, mortar. see HEBREW kathash. << 4387, 4388. maktesh. 4389 >>. ...
/hebrew/4388.htm - 6k