Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) To draw together or nearer; to reduce to a less compass; to shorten, narrow, or lessen; as, to contract one's sphere of action.
2. (n.) To draw together so as to wrinkle; to knit.
3. (n.) To bring on; to incur; to acquire; as, to contract a habit; to contract a debt; to contract a disease.
4. (n.) To enter into, with mutual obligations; to make a bargain or covenant for.
5. (n.) To betroth; to affiance.
6. (n.) To shorten by omitting a letter or letters or by reducing two or more vowels or syllables to one.
7. (v. i.) To be drawn together so as to be diminished in size or extent; to shrink; to be reduced in compass or in duration; as, iron contracts in cooling; a rope contracts when wet.
8. (v. i.) To make an agreement; to covenant; to agree; to bargain; as, to contract for carrying the mail.
9. (a.) Contracted; as, a contract verb.
10. (a.) Contracted; affianced; betrothed.
11. (n.) The agreement of two or more persons, upon a sufficient consideration or cause, to do, or to abstain from doing, some act; an agreement in which a party undertakes to do, or not to do, a particular thing; a formal bargain; a compact; an interchange of legal rights.
12. (n.) A formal writing which contains the agreement of parties, with the terms and conditions, and which serves as a proof of the obligation.
13. (n.) The act of formally betrothing a man and woman.
Strong's Hebrew6821. tsaphad -- to draw together, contract...
tsaphad. 6822 >>. to draw together, contract
. Transliteration: tsaphad Phonetic
Spelling: (tsaw-fad') Short Definition: shriveled. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/6821.htm - 5k
7939. sakar -- hire, wages
... From sakar; payment of contract; concretely, salary, fare, maintenance; by implication,
compensation, benefit -- hire, price, reward(-ed), wages, worth. ...
/hebrew/7939.htm - 6k
6915. qadad -- to bow down
... bow down the head, stoop. A primitive root; to shrivel up, ie Contract or bend the
body (or neck) in deference -- bow (down) (the) head, stoop. << 6914, 6915. ...
/hebrew/6915.htm - 6k
7091. qippoz -- perhaps arrow snake
... great owl. From an unused root meaning to contract, ie Spring forward; an
arrow-snake (as darting on its prey) -- great owl. << 7090, 7091. qippoz. 7092 >>. ...
/hebrew/7091.htm - 6k
331. atam -- to shut, shut up
... narrow, shut, stop. A primitive root; to close (the lips or ears); by analology
to contract (a window by bevelled jambs) -- narrow, shut, stop. << 330b, 331. ...
/hebrew/331.htm - 6k
3648. kamar -- to grow warm and tender, to be or grow hot
... A primitive root; properly, to intertwine or contract, ie (by implication) to shrivel
(as with heat); figuratively, to be deeply affected with passion (love or ...
/hebrew/3648.htm - 6k
680. atsal -- to lay aside, reserve, withdraw, withhold
... A primitive root; properly, to join; used only as a denominative from 'etsel; to
separate; hence, to select, refuse, contract -- keep, reserve, straiten, take. ...
/hebrew/680.htm - 6k
7088. qaphad -- gather together, roll up
... root Definition gather together, roll up NASB Word Usage rolled (1). cut off. A
primitive root; to contract, ie Roll together -- cut off. << 7087b, 7088. ...
/hebrew/7088.htm - 5k
2859. chathan -- make oneself a daughter's husband
... A primitive root; to give (a daughter) away in marriage; hence (generally) to contract
affinity by marriage -- join in affinity, father in law, make marriages ...
/hebrew/2859.htm - 6k