International Standard Bible EncyclopediaLET
(katecho): Usually in the sense of "permit" (Anglo-Saxon, leetan), but also in Old English with meaning of "hinder" (Anglo-Saxon, lettan). This latter sense is found in 2 Thessalonians 2:7 the King James Version, "Only he who now letteth will let," where the Revised Version (British and American) has, "Only there is one that restraineth now."
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (v. t.
) To retard; to hinder; to impede; to oppose.
2. (n.) A retarding; hindrance; obstacle; impediment; delay; -- common in the phrase without let or hindrance, but elsewhere archaic.
3. (n.) A stroke in which a ball touches the top of the net in passing over.
4. (imp. & p. p.) of Let
5. (v. t.) To leave; to relinquish; to abandon.
6. (v. t.) To consider; to think; to esteem.
7. (v. t.) To cause; to make; -- used with the infinitive in the active form but in the passive sense; as, let make, i. e., cause to be made; let bring, i. e., cause to be brought.
8. (v. t.) To permit; to allow; to suffer; -- either affirmatively, by positive act, or negatively, by neglecting to restrain or prevent.
9. (v. t.) To allow to be used or occupied for a compensation; to lease; to rent; to hire out; -- often with out; as, to let a farm; to let a house; to let out horses.
10. (v. t.) To give, grant, or assign, as a work, privilege, or contract; -- often with out; as, to let the building of a bridge; to let out the lathing and the plastering.
11. (v. i.) To forbear.
12. (v. i.) To be let or leased; as, the farm lets for USD500 a year. See note under Let, v. t.
13. (n.) A noun suffix having a diminutive force; as in streamlet, wavelet, armlet.
Strong's Hebrew8058. shamat -- to let drop...
<< 8057, 8058. shamat. 8059 >>. to let
drop. Transliteration: shamat Phonetic Spelling:
(shaw-mat') Short Definition: release. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/8058.htm - 6k
6544a. para -- let go, let alone
... << 6544, 6544a. para. 6544b >>. let go, let alone. Transliteration: para Short
Definition: neglects. Word Origin a prim. root Definition ...
/hebrew/6544a.htm - 5k
7662. shebaq -- to leave, let alone
... << 7661, 7662. shebaq. 7663 >>. to leave, let alone. Transliteration: shebaq Phonetic
Spelling: (sheb-ak') Short Definition: leave. ... leave, let alone. ...
/hebrew/7662.htm - 6k
3451. yeshimah -- let death seize
... << 3450, 3451. yeshimah. 3452 >>. let death seize. Transliteration: yeshimah Phonetic
Spelling: (yesh-ee-maw') Short Definition: death. ... let death seize ...
/hebrew/3451.htm - 5k
3240. yanach -- bestow, cast down, lay down, up, leave off, let ...
... bestow, cast down, lay down, up, leave off, let alone remain, pacify, place,.
Transliteration: yanach Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-nakh') Short Definition: bestow. ...
/hebrew/3240.htm - 6k
6544. para' -- let go, let alone
... << 6543, 6544. para'. 6544a >>. let go, let alone. Transliteration: para' Phonetic
Spelling: (paw-rah') Short Definition: avenge. avenge ...
/hebrew/6544.htm - 5k
3361. Yoqmeam -- "let the people be established," a city in ...
... Yoqmeam. 3362 >>. "let the people be established," a city in Northern Israel.
Transliteration: Yoqmeam Phonetic Spelling: (yok-meh-awm') Short Definition: Jokmeam ...
/hebrew/3361.htm - 6k
3377. Yareb -- "let him contend," the name of an Assyrian king
... << 3376, 3377. Yareb. 3378 >>. "let him contend," the name of an Assyrian king.
Transliteration: Yareb Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-rabe') Short Definition: Jareb. ...
/hebrew/3377.htm - 6k
3378. Yerubbaal -- "let Baal contend," a name of Gideon
... Yerubbaal. 3379 >>. "let Baal contend," a name of Gideon. Transliteration: Yerubbaal
Phonetic Spelling: (yer-oob-bah'-al) Short Definition: Jerubbaal. ...
/hebrew/3378.htm - 6k
8281. sharah -- to let loose
... << 8280, 8281. sharah. 8282 >>. to let loose. Transliteration: sharah Phonetic Spelling:
(shaw-raw') Short Definition: loose. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/8281.htm - 5k