Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) Fine, soft, hairy outgrowth from the skin or surface of animals or plants, not matted and fleecy like wool
2. (n.) The soft under feathers of birds. They have short stems with soft rachis and bards and long threadlike barbules, without hooklets.
3. (n.) The pubescence of plants; the hairy crown or envelope of the seeds of certain plants, as of the thistle.
4. (n.) The soft hair of the face when beginning to appear.
5. (n.) That which is made of down, as a bed or pillow; that which affords ease and repose, like a bed of down
6. (v. t.) To cover, ornament, line, or stuff with down.
7. (prep.) A bank or rounded hillock of sand thrown up by the wind along or near the shore; a flattish-topped hill; -- usually in the plural.
8. (prep.) A tract of poor, sandy, undulating or hilly land near the sea, covered with fine turf which serves chiefly for the grazing of sheep; -- usually in the plural.
9. (prep.) A road for shipping in the English Channel or Straits of Dover, near Deal, employed as a naval rendezvous in time of war.
10. (prep.) A state of depression; low state; abasement.
11. (adv.) In the direction of gravity or toward the center of the earth; toward or in a lower place or position; below; -- the opposite of up.
12. (adv.) From a higher to a lower position, literally or figuratively; in a descending direction; from the top of an ascent; from an upright position; to the ground or floor; to or into a lower or an inferior condition; as, into a state of humility, disgrace, misery, and the like; into a state of rest; -- used with verbs indicating motion.
13. (adv.) In a low or the lowest position, literally or figuratively; at the bottom of a decent; below the horizon; of the ground; in a condition of humility, dejection, misery, and the like; in a state of quiet.
14. (adv.) From a remoter or higher antiquity.
15. (adv.) From a greater to a less bulk, or from a thinner to a thicker consistence; as, to boil down in cookery, or in making decoctions.
16. (adv.) In a descending direction along; from a higher to a lower place upon or within; at a lower place in or on; as, down a hill; down a well.
17. (adv.) Hence: Towards the mouth of a river; towards the sea; as, to sail or swim down a stream; to sail down the sound.
18. (v. t.) To cause to go down; to make descend; to put down; to overthrow, as in wrestling; hence, to subdue; to bring down.
19. (v. i.) To go down; to descend.
20. (a.) Downcast; as, a down look.
21. (a.) Downright; absolute; positive; as, a down denial.
22. (a.) Downward; going down; sloping; as, a down stroke; a down grade; a down train on a railway.
Strong's Hebrew3381. yarad -- to come or go down, descend...
<< 3380, 3381. yarad. 3382 >>. to come or go down
, descend. Transliteration: yarad
Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-rad') Short Definition: down
. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/3381.htm - 7k
2040. haras -- to throw down, break or tear down
... << 2039, 2040. haras. 2041 >>. to throw down, break or tear down. Transliteration:
haras Phonetic Spelling: (haw-ras') Short Definition: down. Word Origin a prim ...
/hebrew/2040.htm - 6k
5422. nathats -- to pull down, break down
... << 5421, 5422. nathats. 5423 >>. to pull down, break down. Transliteration: nathats
Phonetic Spelling: (naw-thats') Short Definition: down. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5422.htm - 6k
7901. shakab -- to lie down
... << 7900, 7901. shakab. 7902 >>. to lie down. Transliteration: shakab Phonetic Spelling:
(shaw-kab') Short Definition: slept. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/7901.htm - 6k
7812. shachah -- to bow down
... << 7811, 7812. shachah. 7813 >>. to bow down. Transliteration: shachah Phonetic
Spelling: (shaw-khaw') Short Definition: worship. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/7812.htm - 6k
3766. kara -- to bow down
... << 3765, 3766. kara. 3767 >>. to bow down. Transliteration: kara Phonetic Spelling:
(kaw-rah') Short Definition: down. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/3766.htm - 6k
7257. rabats -- stretch oneself out, lie down, lie stretched out
... << 7256, 7257. rabats. 7258 >>. stretch oneself out, lie down, lie stretched out.
Transliteration: rabats Phonetic Spelling: (raw-bats') Short Definition: down. ...
/hebrew/7257.htm - 6k
5181. nacheth -- to go down, descend
... << 5180, 5181. nacheth. 5182 >>. to go down, descend. Transliteration: nacheth Phonetic
Spelling: (naw-khath') Short Definition: bend. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5181.htm - 6k
947. bus -- to tread down, trample
... << 946, 947. bus. 948 >>. to tread down, trample. Transliteration: bus Phonetic
Spelling: (boos) Short Definition: squirming. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/947.htm - 6k
1438. gada -- to hew, hew down or off
... << 1437, 1438. gada. 1439 >>. to hew, hew down or off. Transliteration: gada Phonetic
Spelling: (gaw-dah') Short Definition: down. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/1438.htm - 6k