International Standard Bible EncyclopediaSOUND
sound: In Isaiah 63:15 the King James Version has "the sounding of thy bowels," a painfully literal translation of hamon me'eykha, with the similar phrase, "my bowels shall sound like an harp," in Isaiah 16:11 (compare Jeremiah 48:36). The intestines were considered a seat of emotion, and at times of great excitement were thought (in poetry, at least) to become tense and to give forth a musical sound. The Revised Version (British and American) (following the King James Version in Jeremiah 48:36) substitutes "heart" for "bowels" in Isaiah 16:11, thus obscuring the figure but preserving the sense. In Isaiah 63:15 the Revised Version (British and American) paraphrases "the yearning of thy heart" (the English Revised Version "bowels"), a needless change from 16:11.
See also BATH KOL; SOLEMN, SOLEMNITY.
Burton Scott Easton
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) The air bladder of a fish; as, cod sounds are an esteemed article of food.
2. (n.) A cuttlefish.
3. (superl.) Whole; unbroken; unharmed; free from flaw, defect, or decay; perfect of the kind; as, sound timber; sound fruit; a sound tooth; a sound ship.
4. (superl.) Healthy; not diseased; not being in a morbid state; -- said of body or mind; as, a sound body; a sound constitution; a sound understanding.
5. (superl.) Firm; strong; safe.
6. (superl.) Free from error; correct; right; honest; true; faithful; orthodox; -- said of persons; as, a sound lawyer; a sound thinker.
7. (superl.) Founded in truth or right; supported by justice; not to be overthrown on refuted; not fallacious; as, sound argument or reasoning; a sound objection; sound doctrine; sound principles.
8. (superl.) heavy; laid on with force; as, a sound beating.
9. (superl.) Undisturbed; deep; profound; as, sound sleep.
10. (superl.) Founded in law; legal; valid; not defective; as, a sound title to land.
11. (adv.) Soundly.
12. (n.) A narrow passage of water, or a strait between the mainland and an island; also, a strait connecting two seas, or connecting a sea or lake with the ocean; as, the Sound between the Baltic and the german Ocean; Long Island Sound.
13. (v. t.) To measure the depth of; to fathom; especially, to ascertain the depth of by means of a line and plummet.
14. (v. t.) Fig.: To ascertain, or try to ascertain, the thoughts, motives, and purposes of (a person); to examine; to try; to test; to probe.
15. (v. t.) To explore, as the bladder or urethra, with a sound; to examine with a sound; also, to examine by auscultation or percussion; as, to sound a patient.
16. (v. i.) To ascertain the depth of water with a sounding line or other device.
17. (n.) Any elongated instrument or probe, usually metallic, by which cavities of the body are sounded or explored, especially the bladder for stone, or the urethra for a stricture.
18. (n.) The perceived object occasioned by the impulse or vibration of a material substance affecting the ear; a sensation or perception of the mind received through the ear, and produced by the impulse or vibration of the air or other medium with which the ear is in contact; the effect of an impression made on the organs of hearing by an impulse or vibration of the air caused by a collision of bodies, or by other means; noise; report; as, the sound of a drum; the sound of the human voice; a horrid sound; a charming sound; a sharp, high, or shrill sound.
19. (n.) The occasion of sound; the impulse or vibration which would occasion sound to a percipient if present with unimpaired; hence, the theory of vibrations in elastic media such cause sound; as, a treatise on sound.
20. (n.) Noise without signification; empty noise; noise and nothing else.
21. (v. i.) To make a noise; to utter a voice; to make an impulse of the air that shall strike the organs of hearing with a perceptible effect.
22. (v. i.) To be conveyed in sound; to be spread or published; to convey intelligence by sound.
23. (v. i.) To make or convey a certain impression, or to have a certain import, when heard; hence, to seem; to appear; as, this reproof sounds harsh; the story sounds like an invention.
24. (v. t.) To causes to make a noise; to play on; as, to sound a trumpet or a horn.
25. (v. t.) To cause to exit as a sound; as, to sound a note with the voice, or on an instrument.
26. (v. t.) To order, direct, indicate, or proclaim by a sound, or sounds; to give a signal for by a certain sound; as, to sound a retreat; to sound a parley.
27. (v. t.) To celebrate or honor by sounds; to cause to be reported; to publish or proclaim; as, to sound the praises of fame of a great man or a great exploit.
28. (v. t.) To examine the condition of (anything) by causing the same to emit sounds and noting their character; as, to sound a piece of timber; to sound a vase; to sound the lungs of a patient.
29. (v. t.) To signify; to import; to denote.
Strong's Hebrew6963. qol -- sound, voice...
<< 6962b, 6963. qol. 6964 >>. sound
, voice. Transliteration: qol Phonetic
Spelling: (kole) Short Definition: voice. Word Origin from ... /hebrew/6963.htm - 6k
8454. tushiyyah -- sound, efficient wisdom, abiding success
... << 8453, 8454. tushiyyah. 8455 >>. sound, efficient wisdom, abiding success.
Transliteration: tushiyyah Phonetic Spelling: (too-shee-yaw') Short Definition: ...
/hebrew/8454.htm - 6k
2690. chatsar -- to sound a trumpet
... to sound a trumpet. Transliteration: chatsar or chatsotser Phonetic Spelling:
(khaw-tsar') Short Definition: blew. ... blow, sound, trumpeter. ...
/hebrew/2690.htm - 6k
8549. tamim -- complete, sound
... << 8548, 8549. tamim. 8550 >>. complete, sound. Transliteration: tamim Phonetic
Spelling: (taw-meem') Short Definition: defect. Word ...
/hebrew/8549.htm - 6k
1998. hemyah -- a sound, music
... << 1997, 1998. hemyah. 1999 >>. a sound, music. Transliteration: hemyah Phonetic
Spelling: (hem-yaw') Short Definition: music. ... noise. From hamah; sound -- noise. ...
/hebrew/1998.htm - 6k
1999. hamullah -- perhaps rainstorm, a rushing or roaring sound
... perhaps rainstorm, a rushing or roaring sound. Transliteration: hamullah or hamullah
Phonetic Spelling: (ham-ool-law') Short Definition: tumult. ...
/hebrew/1999.htm - 6k
1995. hamon -- a sound, murmur, roar, crowd, abundance
... << 1994, 1995. hamon. 1996 >>. a sound, murmur, roar, crowd, abundance. Transliteration:
hamon Phonetic Spelling: (haw-mone') Short Definition: multitude. ...
/hebrew/1995.htm - 6k
8608. taphaph -- to sound the timbrel, beat
... << 8607, 8608. taphaph. 8609 >>. to sound the timbrel, beat. Transliteration:
taphaph Phonetic Spelling: (taw-faf') Short Definition: beating. ...
/hebrew/8608.htm - 6k
8087a. shema -- a sound
... shema. 8087b >>. a sound. Transliteration: shema Short Definition: loud. Word Origin
from shama Definition a sound NASB Word Usage loud (1). << 8087, 8087a. ...
/hebrew/8087a.htm - 5k
7999a. shalem -- to be complete or sound
... << 7999, 7999a. shalem. 7999b >>. to be complete or sound. Transliteration: shalem
Short Definition: pay. Word Origin a prim. root Definition ...
/hebrew/7999a.htm - 6k