Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) A covering overhead; especially, a tent.
2. (n.) The cloth covering of a cart or a wagon.
3. (n.) A cloth cover of a boat; a small canopy or awning extended over the sternsheets of a boat.
4. (v. t.) To cover with a tilt, or awning.
5. (v. t.) To incline; to tip; to raise one end of for discharging liquor; as, to tilt a barrel.
6. (v. t.) To point or thrust, as a lance.
7. (v. t.) To point or thrust a weapon at.
8. (v. t.) To hammer or forge with a tilt hammer; as, to tilt steel in order to render it more ductile.
9. (v. i.) To run or ride, and thrust with a lance; to practice the military game or exercise of thrusting with a lance, as a combatant on horseback; to joust; also, figuratively, to engage in any combat or movement resembling that of horsemen tilting with lances.
10. (v. i.) To lean; to fall partly over; to tip.
11. (n.) A thrust, as with a lance.
12. (n.) A military exercise on horseback, in which the combatants attacked each other with lances; a tournament.
13. (n.) See Tilt hammer, in the Vocabulary.
14. (n.) Inclination forward; as, the tilt of a cask.