Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) A child's toy, commonly in the form of a conoid or pear, made to spin on its point, usually by drawing off a string wound round its surface or stem, the motion being sometimes continued by means of a whip.
2. (n.) A plug, or conical block of wood, with longitudinal grooves on its surface, in which the strands of the rope slide in the process of twisting.
3. (n.) The highest part of anything; the upper end, edge, or extremity; the upper side or surface; summit; apex; vertex; cover; lid; as, the top of a spire; the top of a house; the top of a mountain; the top of the ground.
4. (n.) The utmost degree; the acme; the summit.
5. (n.) The highest rank; the most honorable position; the utmost attainable place; as, to be at the top of one's class, or at the top of the school.
6. (n.) The chief person; the most prominent one.
7. (n.) The crown of the head, or the hair upon it; the head.
8. (n.) The head, or upper part, of a plant.
9. (n.) A platform surrounding the head of the lower mast and projecting on all sides. It serves to spread the topmast rigging, thus strengthening the mast, and also furnishes a convenient standing place for the men aloft.
10. (n.) A bundle or ball of slivers of comkbed wool, from which the noils, or dust, have been taken out.
11. (n.) Eve; verge; point.
12. (n.) The part of a cut gem between the girdle, or circumference, and the table, or flat upper surface.
13. (n.) Top-boots.
14. (v. i.) To rise aloft; to be eminent; to tower; as, lofty ridges and topping mountains.
15. (v. i.) To predominate; as, topping passions.
16. (v. i.) To excel; to rise above others.
17. (v. t.) To cover on the top; to tip; to cap; -- chiefly used in the past participle.
18. (v. t.) To rise above; to excel; to outgo; to surpass.
19. (v. t.) To rise to the top of; to go over the top of.
20. (v. t.) To take off the or upper part of; to crop.
21. (v. t.) To perform eminently, or better than before.
22. (v. t.) To raise one end of, as a yard, so that that end becomes higher than the other.
Strong's Hebrew1406. gag -- a roof, a top...
<< 1405, 1406. gag. 1407 >>. a roof, a top
. Transliteration: gag Phonetic Spelling:
(gawg) Short Definition: roof. ...
roof of the house, house top
of the house. ... /hebrew/1406.htm - 6k
6788. tsammereth -- (tree) top
... << 6787, 6788. tsammereth. 6789 >>. (tree) top. Transliteration: tsammereth
Phonetic Spelling: (tsam-meh'-reth) Short Definition: top. ...
/hebrew/6788.htm - 6k
7222. roshah -- top
... roshah. 7223 >>. top. Transliteration: roshah Phonetic Spelling: (ro-shaw') Short
Definition: top. Word Origin fem. of rosh Definition top NASB Word Usage top ( ...
/hebrew/7222.htm - 6k
534. amir -- the top, summit
... << 533, 534. amir. 535 >>. the top, summit. Transliteration: amir Phonetic
Spelling: (aw-meer') Short Definition: bough. Word Origin ...
/hebrew/534.htm - 6k
6706. tsachiach -- a shining or glaring surface
... higher place, top. From tsachach; glaring, ie Exposed to the bright sun -- higher
place, top. see HEBREW tsachach. << 6705, 6706. tsachiach. 6707 >>. ...
/hebrew/6706.htm - 6k
5586. saaph -- to lop off (boughs)
... top. A primitive root; properly, to divide up; but used only as denominative from
ca'iyph, to disbranch (a tree) -- top. see HEBREW ca'iyph. << 5585, 5586. ...
/hebrew/5586.htm - 6k
4605. maal -- above, upwards
... high above (1), high* (1), higher (4), highly (2), hovered* (2), older (2), onward
(2), over (4), over* (1), severe (1), successive story (1), top (9), upside ...
/hebrew/4605.htm - 6k
6936. qodqod -- head, crown of the head
... scalps (1). crown of the head, pate, scalp, top of the head. From qadad;
the crown of the head (as the part most bowed) -- crown ...
/hebrew/6936.htm - 6k
7218. rosh -- head
... 4), leaders (8), leading man (1), leading men (2), masters (1), released* (1), ridge
(2), rivers (1), sum (2), summit (7), themselves (1), top (51), topmost (2 ...
/hebrew/7218.htm - 6k
1354. gab -- a back
... 1), massive* (1), rims (3), shrine (2), shrines (1). the top or rim, a boss,
a vault. From an unused root meaning to hollow or curve ...
/hebrew/1354.htm - 6k