International Standard Bible EncyclopediaEARTH, VAULT, OF THE
In one passage God is said to have "founded his vault ('aghuddah) upon the earth" (Amos 9:6). It is not quite certain whether this dome or vault refers to the earth itself, or to the heavens arched above it.
The latter is the usual interpretation, but in either case the reference is rather to the strength of the structure than to its form; the word implying something that is firmly bound together and hence, an arch or dome because of its stability.
See also ASTRONOMY, sec. III, 2.
volt (natsar, "to guard," "protest"): Isaiah's charge against Israel as "a people that.... lodge in the secret places" (Isaiah 65:4, margin "vaults," the King James Version "monuments") probably refers to the custom of sleeping in sacred tombs or vaults of idol temples to learn the future through dreams by the method known as incubation.
See DIVINATION, 6, (ii); 7, 1; FAMILIAR; WITCHCRAFT; and Expository Times, IX, 157;.
VAULT OF EARTH
See ASTRONOMY, sec. III, 1.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) An arched structure of masonry, forming a ceiling or canopy.
2. (n.) An arched apartment; especially, a subterranean room, use for storing articles, for a prison, for interment, or the like; a cell; a cellar.
3. (n.) The canopy of heaven; the sky.
4. (n.) A leap or bound.
5. (n.) The bound or leap of a horse; a curvet.
6. (n.) A leap by aid of the hands, or of a pole, springboard, or the like.
7. (v. t.) To form with a vault, or to cover with a vault; to give the shape of an arch to; to arch; as, vault a roof; to vault a passage to a court.
8. (v. i.) To leap over; esp., to leap over by aid of the hands or a pole; as, to vault a fence.
9. (n.) To leap; to bound; to jump; to spring.
10. (n.) To exhibit feats of tumbling or leaping; to tumble.
Strong's Hebrew2329. chug -- vault, horizon...
<< 2328, 2329. chug. 2330 >>. vault
, horizon. Transliteration: chug Phonetic
Spelling: (khoog) Short Definition: circle. Word Origin ... /hebrew/2329.htm - 6k
2588. chanuth -- a cell, vault
... << 2587, 2588. chanuth. 2589 >>. a cell, vault. Transliteration: chanuth Phonetic
Spelling: (khaw-nooth') Short Definition: cell. Word ...
/hebrew/2588.htm - 6k
1354. gab -- a back
... 1), massive* (1), rims (3), shrine (2), shrines (1). the top or rim, a boss,
a vault. From an unused root meaning to hollow or curve ...
/hebrew/1354.htm - 6k