International Standard Bible EncyclopediaTRIM
The only non-modern use is in Jeremiah 2:33, "How trimmest thou thy way to seek love!" used for yatabh, "to make good," here "to study out," and the whole phrase means "to walk in an artificial manner," "like a courtesan."
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (v. t.
) To make trim; to put in due order for any purpose; to make right, neat, or pleasing; to adjust.
2. (v. t.) To dress; to decorate; to adorn; to invest; to embellish; as, to trim a hat.
3. (v. t.) To make ready or right by cutting or shortening; to clip or lop; to curtail; as, to trim the hair; to trim a tree.
4. (v. t.) To dress, as timber; to make smooth.
5. (v. t.) To adjust, as a ship, by arranging the cargo, or disposing the weight of persons or goods, so equally on each side of the center and at each end, that she shall sit well on the water and sail well; as, to trim a ship, or a boat.
6. (v. t.) To arrange in due order for sailing; as, to trim the sails.
7. (v. t.) To rebuke; to reprove; also, to beat.
8. (v. i.) To balance; to fluctuate between parties, so as to appear to favor each.
9. (n.) Dress; gear; ornaments.
10. (n.) Order; disposition; condition; as, to be in good trim.
11. (n.) The state of a ship or her cargo, ballast, masts, etc., by which she is well prepared for sailing.
12. (n.) The lighter woodwork in the interior of a building; especially, that used around openings, generally in the form of a molded architrave, to protect the plastering at those points.
13. (v. t.) Fitly adjusted; being in good order., or made ready for service or use; firm; compact; snug; neat; fair; as, the ship is trim, or trim built; everything about the man is trim; a person is trim when his body is well shaped and firm; his dress is trim when it fits closely to his body, and appears tight and snug; a man or a soldier is trim when he stands erect.
Strong's Hebrew2168. zamar -- to trim, prune...
<< 2167, 2168. zamar. 2169 >>. to trim
, prune. Transliteration: zamar Phonetic Spelling:
(zaw-mar') Short Definition: prune. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/2168.htm - 6k
3697. kasam -- to shear, clip
... to shear, clip. Transliteration: kasam Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-sam') Short Definition:
trim. ... root Definition to shear, clip NASB Word Usage only trim (1). ...
/hebrew/3697.htm - 6k
6213. asah -- do, make
... to pass, perform, pracise, prepare, procure, provide, put, requite, X sacrifice,
serve, set, shew, X sin, spend, X surely, take, X thoroughly, trim, X very ...
/hebrew/6213.htm - 6k
6213a. asah -- do, make
... 16), showed (6), showing (2), shown (9), shows (3), spend (1), surely show (1),
take action (6), thoroughly deal (1), treat (3), tried (1), trim (1), trimmed (1 ...
/hebrew/6213a.htm - 8k
3190. yatab -- to be good, well, glad, or pleasing
... be, make) good((-ness)), be (make) merry, please (+ well), shew more (kindness),
skilfully, X very small, surely, make sweet, thoroughly, tire, trim, very, be ...
/hebrew/3190.htm - 7k