Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (adv. & conj.
) Except with; unless with; without.
2. (adv. & conj.) Except; besides; save.
3. (adv. & conj.) Excepting or excluding the fact that; save that; were it not that; unless; -- elliptical, for but that.
4. (adv. & conj.) Otherwise than that; that not; -- commonly, after a negative, with that.
5. (adv. & conj.) Only; solely; merely.
6. (adv. & conj.) On the contrary; on the other hand; only; yet; still; however; nevertheless; more; further; -- as connective of sentences or clauses of a sentence, in a sense more or less exceptive or adversative; as, the House of Representatives passed the bill, but the Senate dissented; our wants are many, but quite of another kind.
7. (prep., adv. & conj.) The outer apartment or kitchen of a two-roomed house; -- opposed to den, the inner room.
8. (n.) A limit; a boundary.
9. (n.) The end; esp. the larger or thicker end, or the blunt, in distinction from the sharp, end. See 1st Butt.
10. (v. i.) See Butt, v., and Abut, v.
11. (n.) A limit; a bound; a goal; the extreme bound; the end.
12. (n.) The thicker end of anything. See But.
13. (n.) A mark to be shot at; a target.
14. (n.) A person at whom ridicule, jest, or contempt is directed; as, the butt of the company.
15. (n.) A push, thrust, or sudden blow, given by the head of an animal; as, the butt of a ram.
16. (n.) A thrust in fencing.
17. (n.) A piece of land left unplowed at the end of a field.
18. (n.) A joint where the ends of two objects come squarely together without scarfing or chamfering; -- also called butt joint.
19. (n.) The end of a connecting rod or other like piece, to which the boxing is attached by the strap, cotter, and gib.
20. (n.) The portion of a half-coupling fastened to the end of a hose.
21. (n.) The joint where two planks in a strake meet.
22. (n.) A kind of hinge used in hanging doors, etc.; -- so named because fastened on the edge of the door, which butts against the casing, instead of on its face, like the strap hinge; also called butt hinge.
23. (n.) The thickest and stoutest part of tanned oxhides, used for soles of boots, harness, trunks.
24. (n.) The hut or shelter of the person who attends to the targets in rifle practice.
Strong's Hebrew199. ulam -- but, but indeed...
<< 198, 199. ulam. 200 >>. but
indeed. Transliteration: ulam Phonetic Spelling:
(oo-lawm') Short Definition: however. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/199.htm - 6k
7535. raq -- but, even, except, howbeit howsoever, at the least ...
... << 7534, 7535. raq. 7536 >>. but, even, except, howbeit howsoever, at the least,
nevertheless. Transliteration: raq Phonetic Spelling: (rak) Short Definition: but ...
/hebrew/7535.htm - 6k
3861b. lahen -- except, but
... << 3861a, 3861b. lahen. 3862 >>. except, but. Transliteration: lahen Short
Definition: besides. Word Origin (Aramaic) corresponding to ...
/hebrew/3861b.htm - 5k
1297. beram -- only, nevertheless
... Word Origin (Aramaic) of uncertain derivation Definition only, nevertheless
NASB Word Usage however (3), yet (2). but, nevertheless, yet. ...
/hebrew/1297.htm - 6k
389. ak -- surely, howbeit
... 2), yet (6). also, in any wise, at least, but, certainly, even, howbeit,
nevertheless,. Akin to 'aken; a particle of affirmation, surely ...
/hebrew/389.htm - 6k
403. aken -- surely
... root Definition surely NASB Word Usage certainly (1), nevertheless (2), surely
(11), truly (1). but, certainly, nevertheless, surely, truly, verily. ...
/hebrew/403.htm - 6k
3861. lawhen -- therefore
... << 3860, 3861. lawhen. 3861a >>. therefore. Transliteration: lawhen Phonetic Spelling:
(law-hane') Short Definition: but. but, except, save, therefore, wherefore ...
/hebrew/3861.htm - 5k
637. aph -- also, yea
... also, although, and furthermore, yet, but, even, how much less more, rather
than,. A primitive particle; meaning accession (used ...
/hebrew/637.htm - 6k
432. illu -- if, though
... but if, yea though. Probably from 'al; nay, ie (softened) if -- but if, yea though.
see HEBREW 'al. << 431, 432. illu. 433 >>. Strong's Numbers.
/hebrew/432.htm - 5k
1115. bilti -- not, except
... unless* (1), until (1), without (4). beside, but, continual, except, from,
lest, neither,. Constructive feminine of balah (equivalent ...
/hebrew/1115.htm - 6k