International Standard Bible EncyclopediaRIGHT
rit (yashar, mishpaT; dikaios, euthus): Many Hebrew words are translated "right," with different shades of meaning. Of these the two noted are the most important: yashar, with the sense of being straight, direct, as "right in the sight" of Yahweh (Exodus 15:26 Deuteronomy 12:25, etc.), in one's own eyes (Judges 17:6), "right words" (Job 6:25 the King James Version, yosher), "right paths" (Proverbs 4:11 the King James Version); and mishpaT "judgment" "cause" etc., a forensic term, as "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Genesis 18:25). In Job 34:17, the Revised Version (British and American) has "justice" (34:6, "right"), etc. The word tsedheq, tsedhaqah, ordinarily translated "righteousness," are in a few cases rendered "right" (2 Samuel 19:28 Nehemiah 2:20 Psalm 9:4; Psalm 17:1; Psalm 119:75 Ezekiel 18:5, etc.). In the New Testament the chief word is dikaios, primarily "even," "equal" (Matthew 20:4 Luke 12:57, etc.); more generally the word is rendered "just" and "righteous." Euthus, used by Septuagint for yashar (1 Samuel 12:23 Hosea 14:9), occurs a few times (Acts 8:21; Acts 13:10 2 Peter 2:15); so orthos, "straight," "upright" (Luke 10:28). "Right-hand" or "side" represents Hebrew yamin and kindred forms (Genesis 48:13, 14, 17 Exodus 15:6, etc.); the Greek, in this sense, is dexios (Matthew 6:3; Matthew 20:21, etc.).
Revised Version, among other changes, has "right" for the King James Version "judgment" in Job 27:2; Job 34:5, and for "right" in the King James Version substitutes "straight" in Ezra 8:21, "skillful" in Ecclesiastes 4:4, margin "successful," etc. In John 1:12 the Revised Version (British and American) reads, "the right to become children of God" for the King James Version "the power" (exousia); in Matthew 20:7, 15 "right" is omitted, with the larger part of the verse. In 2 Timothy 2:15 "rightly dividing" (orthotomeo) is changed to "handling aright" with margin "holding a straight course in the word of truth. Or, rightly dividing the word of truth."
W. L. Walker
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) Straight; direct; not crooked; as, a right line.
2. (a.) Upright; erect from a base; having an upright axis; not oblique; as, right ascension; a right pyramid or cone.
3. (a.) Conformed to the constitution of man and the will of God, or to justice and equity; not deviating from the true and just; according with truth and duty; just; true.
4. (a.) Fit; suitable; proper; correct; becoming; as, the right man in the right place; the right way from London to Oxford.
5. (a.) Characterized by reality or genuineness; real; actual; not spurious.
6. (a.) According with truth; passing a true judgment; conforming to fact or intent; not mistaken or wrong; not erroneous; correct; as, this is the right faith.
7. (a.) Most favorable or convenient; fortunate.
8. (a.) of or pertaining to that side of the body in man on which the muscular action is usually stronger than on the other side; -- opposed to left when used in reference to a part of the body; as, the right side, hand, arm. Also applied to the corresponding side of the lower animals.
9. (a.) Well placed, disposed, or adjusted; orderly; well regulated; correctly done.
10. (a.) Designed to be placed or worn outward; as, the right side of a piece of cloth.
11. (adv.) In a right manner.
12. (adv.) In a right or straight line; directly; hence; straightway; immediately; next; as, he stood right before me; it went right to the mark; he came right out; he followed right after the guide.
13. (adv.) Exactly; just.
14. (adv.) According to the law or will of God; conforming to the standard of truth and justice; righteously; as, to live right; to judge right.
15. (adv.) According to any rule of art; correctly.
16. (adv.) According to fact or truth; actually; truly; really; correctly; exactly; as, to tell a story right.
17. (adv.) In a great degree; very; wholly; unqualifiedly; extremely; highly; as, right humble; right noble; right valiant.
18. (a.) That which is right or correct.
19. (n.) The straight course; adherence to duty; obedience to lawful authority, divine or human; freedom from guilt, -- the opposite of moral wrong.
20. (n.) A true statement; freedom from error of falsehood; adherence to truth or fact.
21. (n.) A just judgment or action; that which is true or proper; justice; uprightness; integrity.
22. (a.) That to which one has a just claim.
23. (a.) That which one has a natural claim to exact.
24. (a.) That which one has a legal or social claim to do or to exact; legal power; authority; as, a sheriff has a right to arrest a criminal.
25. (a.) That which justly belongs to one; that which one has a claim to possess or own; the interest or share which anyone has in a piece of property; title; claim; interest; ownership.
26. (a.) Privilege or immunity granted by authority.
27. (n.) The right side; the side opposite to the left.
28. (a.) In some legislative bodies of Europe (as in France), those members collectively who are conservatives or monarchists. See Center, 5.
29. (n.) The outward or most finished surface, as of a piece of cloth, a carpet, etc.
30. (v.) To bring or restore to the proper or natural position; to set upright; to make right or straight (that which has been wrong or crooked); to correct.
31. (v.) To do justice to; to relieve from wrong; to restore rights to; to assert or regain the rights of; as, to right the oppressed; to right one's self; also, to vindicate.
32. (v. i.) To recover the proper or natural condition or position; to become upright.
33. (v. i.) Hence, to regain an upright position, as a ship or boat, after careening.
Strong's Hebrew3231. yaman -- to go to or choose the right, to use the right hand...
<< 3230, 3231. yaman. 3232 >>. to go to or choose the right
, to use the right
Transliteration: yaman Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-man') Short Definition: right ... /hebrew/3231.htm - 6k
3233. yemani -- right hand, right
... << 3232, 3233. yemani. 3234 >>. right hand, right. Transliteration: yemani
Phonetic Spelling: (yem-aw-nee') Short Definition: right. ...
/hebrew/3233.htm - 6k
3225. yamin -- right hand
... << 3224, 3225. yamin. 3226 >>. right hand. Transliteration: yamin Phonetic
Spelling: (yaw-meen') Short Definition: hand. Word Origin ...
/hebrew/3225.htm - 6k
3474. yashar -- to be smooth, straight, or right
... yashar. 3475 >>. to be smooth, straight, or right. Transliteration: yashar Phonetic
Spelling: (yaw-shar') Short Definition: pleased. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/3474.htm - 6k
5228. nakoach -- straight, right, straightness
... << 5227, 5228. nakoach. 5229 >>. straight, right, straightness. Transliteration:
nakoach Phonetic Spelling: (naw-ko'-akh) Short Definition: right. ...
/hebrew/5228.htm - 6k
3477. yashar -- straight, right
... << 3476, 3477. yashar. 3478 >>. straight, right. Transliteration: yashar Phonetic
Spelling: (yaw-shawr') Short Definition: upright. Word ...
/hebrew/3477.htm - 6k
3227. yemini -- on the right hand
... << 3226, 3227. yemini. 3228 >>. on the right hand. Transliteration: yemini Phonetic
Spelling: (yem-ee-nee') Short Definition: right. ... on the right hand ...
/hebrew/3227.htm - 5k
3653a. ken -- right, veritable, honest
... << 3653, 3653a. ken. 3653b >>. right, veritable, honest. Transliteration:
ken Short Definition: right. Word Origin from kun Definition ...
/hebrew/3653a.htm - 5k
541. aman -- turn to the right
... aman. 542 >>. turn to the right. Transliteration: aman Phonetic Spelling: (aw-man')
Short Definition: turn. Word Origin the same as yaman, qv. turn to the right ...
/hebrew/541.htm - 6k
4442. Malki-tsedeq -- "my king is right," an early king of Salem
... "my king is right," an early king of Salem. Transliteration: Malki-tsedeq Phonetic
Spelling: (mal-kee-tseh'-dek) Short Definition: Melchizedek. ...
/hebrew/4442.htm - 6k