Hitchcock's Bible NamesSo
a measure for grain; vail
Smith's Bible DictionarySo
"So, king of Egypt," is once mentioned in the Bible -- (2 Kings 17:4) So has been identified by different writers with the first and second kings of the Ethiopian twenty-fifth dynasty, called by Manetho, Sabakon (Shebek) and Sebichos (Shebetek).
ATS Bible DictionarySo
King of Egypt, made an alliance with Hoshea king of Israel, and promised him assistance; but was unable to prevent Shalmaneser king of Assyria from taking Samaria and subverting the kingdom, B. C. 721, 2 Kings 17:4. See PHARAOH.
So is believed to have been the Servetus or Sabaco II of secular history, the second king of the Ethiopian or twenty-fifth dynasty, and the predecessor of Trihakah. A singular fact has been brought to light by the recent explorations at Nineveh, corroborating the Scripture record the more forcibly, because unexpected and direct. The Bible shows that Egypt and Assyria, though remote, were often in conflict during the height of the Assyrian ruins power, and that So was at war with Shalmaneser. After war comes the treaty of peace; and as the Bible prepares us to suppose such treaties were made, the Assyrian ruins furnish evidence of their existence. In the remains of Sennacherib's palace recently disentombed, a small room was found which seems to have been a hall of records; and among the seals it contained was the seal of So, well known to students of Egyptian antiquities.
It was impressed, as was then the custom, on a piece of fine clay, which also bore the impress of a royal signet of Assyria; thus showing the probability that such a treaty between the two nations had here been deposited. If so, when the two monarchs affixed their seals to a document, which like themselves has turned to dust, the Most High by their act affixed an additional seal to his holy word, which is true and abideth forever.
International Standard Bible EncyclopediaSO
so (co', although the Hebrew might be pointed cewe'; Assyrian Sib'u; Septuagint Segor, Soa; Manetho, Seuechos; Latin Sevechus; Herodotus (ii. 137;), Sabakon): In all probability the "Sabaeo" of Herodotus, the Shabaka, who founded the Ethiopian dynasty, the XXVth of Egyptian kings. His date is given as 715-707 B.C. (Flinders Petrie, History of Egypt, III, 281;), but we may suppose that before his accession to the throne he was entitled to be designated king, as being actually regent. To this So, Hoshea, king of Israel, made an appeal for assistance to enable him to throw off the yoke of the Assyrian Shalmaneser IV (2 Kings 17:3). But Hoshea's submission to So brought him no advantage, for Shalmaneser came up throughout all the land and laid siege to Samaria. Not long after the fall of Samaria, So ventured upon an eastern campaign, and was defeated by Sargon, the successor of Shalmaneser, in the battle of Raphia in 720 B.C.
Flinders Petrie, History of Egypt, III, 281;; McCurdy, HPM, I, 422; Schrader, COT, I, 261.
Easton's Bible Dictionary
(Nubian, Sabako), an Ethiopian king who brought Egypt under his sway. He was bribed by Hoshea to help him against the Assyrian monarch Shalmaneser (2 Kings 17:4
). This was a return to the policy that had been successful in the reign of Jeroboam I.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) In that manner or degree; as, indicated (in any way), or as implied, or as supposed to be known.
2. (adv.) In like manner or degree; in the same way; thus; for like reason; with equal reason; -- used correlatively, following as, to denote comparison or resemblance; sometimes, also, following inasmuch as.
3. (adv.) In such manner; to such degree; -- used correlatively with as or that following; as, he was so fortunate as to escape.
4. (adv.) Very; in a high degree; that is, in such a degree as can not well be expressed; as, he is so good; he planned so wisely.
5. (adv.) In the same manner; as has been stated or suggested; in this or that condition or state; under these circumstances; in this way; -- with reflex reference to something just asserted or implied; used also with the verb to be, as a predicate.
6. (n.) The case being such; therefore; on this account; for this reason; on these terms; -- used both as an adverb and a conjunction.
7. (adv.) It is well; let it be as it is, or let it come to pass; -- used to express assent.
8. (adv.) Well; the fact being as stated; -- used as an expletive; as, so the work is done, is it?
9. (adv.) Is it thus? do you mean what you say? -- with an upward tone; as, do you say he refuses? So?
10. (adv.) About the number, time, or quantity specified; thereabouts; more or less; as, I will spend a week or so in the country; I have read only a page or so.
11. (conj.) Provided that; on condition that; in case that; if.
12. (interj.) Be as you are; stand still; stop; that will do; right as you are; -- a word used esp. to cows; also used by sailors.
Strong's Hebrew5471. So -- an Eg. king...
<< 5470, 5471. So
. 5472 >>. an Eg. king. Transliteration: So
) Short Definition: so
. Word Origin of foreign origin Definition an Eg. ... /hebrew/5471.htm - 5k
3651. ken -- so, thus
... << 3650, 3651. ken. 3652 >>. so, thus. Transliteration: ken Phonetic Spelling:
(kane) Short Definition: so. Word Origin a prim. adverb ...
/hebrew/3651.htm - 6k
7721. so -- arise
... << 7720, 7721. so. 7722 >>. arise. Transliteration: so Phonetic Spelling: (so) Short
Definition: arise. Word Origin the same as nasa, qv. ... << 7720, 7721. so. 7722 ...
/hebrew/7721.htm - 5k
2063. zoth -- hereby in it, likewise, the one other, same, she, so ...
... hereby in it, likewise, the one other, same, she, so much, such deed, that,.
Transliteration: zoth Phonetic Spelling: (zothe') Short Definition: likewise. ...
/hebrew/2063.htm - 6k
5668. abur -- for the sake of, on account of, so that
... << 5667, 5668. abur or abur. 5669 >>. for the sake of, on account of, so that.
Transliteration: abur or abur Phonetic Spelling: (aw-boor') Short Definition: sake ...
/hebrew/5668.htm - 6k
3602. kakah -- thus
... Word Origin from koh Definition thus NASB Word Usage even so (1), just so (3), like
this (1), so (5), this (1), this manner (2), this regard (1), thus (21). ...
/hebrew/3602.htm - 6k
4480. min -- from
... 7), recently* (1), regard (1), regarding* (1), removed (1), responsible* (1), result
(1), said* (1), same (2), shared* (1), since (20), since* (2), so (12), so ...
/hebrew/4480.htm - 8k
1571. gam -- also, moreover, yea
... neither* (5), neither (1), nevertheless (1), nor (4), nor yet (1), nor* (4), now
(3), now* (2), only (1), or (4), part also (1), previously* (1), so (1), spite ...
/hebrew/1571.htm - 6k
7455. roa -- badness, evil
... 1), wickedness (2). be so bad, badness, be so evil, naughtiness, sadness, sorrow,
wickedness. From ra'a'; badness (as marring), physically ...
/hebrew/7455.htm - 6k
3966. meod -- muchness, force, abundance
... 4), immense (1), louder (1), measure (2), might (2), more (2), more* (1), most
(1), much* (1), quickly (1), richly (1), serious* (1), severely (1), so (2), so ...
/hebrew/3966.htm - 7k