Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) A spelk, or splinter.
2. (v. t.) To supply the place of for a time; to take the turn of, at work; to relieve; as, to spell the helmsman.
3. (n.) The relief of one person by another in any piece of work or watching; also, a turn at work which is carried on by one person or gang relieving another; as, a spell at the pumps; a spell at the masthead.
4. (n.) The time during which one person or gang works until relieved; hence, any relatively short period of time, whether a few hours, days, or weeks.
5. (n.) One of two or more persons or gangs who work by spells.
6. (n.) A gratuitous helping forward of another's work; as, a logging spell.
7. (n.) A story; a tale.
8. (n.) A stanza, verse, or phrase supposed to be endowed with magical power; an incantation; hence, any charm.
9. (v. t.) To tell; to relate; to teach.
10. (v. t.) To put under the influence of a spell; to affect by a spell; to bewitch; to fascinate; to charm.
11. (v. t.) To constitute; to measure.
12. (v. t.) To tell or name in their proper order letters of, as a word; to write or print in order the letters of, esp. the proper letters; to form, as words, by correct orthography.
13. (v. t.) To discover by characters or marks; to read with difficulty; -- usually with out; as, to spell out the sense of an author; to spell out a verse in the Bible.
14. (v. i.) To form words with letters, esp. with the proper letters, either orally or in writing.
15. (v. i.) To study by noting characters; to gain knowledge or learn the meaning of anything, by study.
Strong's Hebrew2267. cheber -- company, association, spell...
<< 2266, 2267. cheber. 2268 >>. company, association, spell
cheber Phonetic Spelling: (kheh'-ber) Short Definition: spells. ... /hebrew/2267.htm - 6k
2266. chabar -- to unite, be joined, to tie a magic knot or spell ...
... chabar. 2267 >>. to unite, be joined, to tie a magic knot or spell, to charm.
Transliteration: chabar Phonetic Spelling: (khaw-bar') Short Definition: joined. ...
/hebrew/2266.htm - 6k
5172. nachash -- to practice divination, observe signs
... A primitive root; properly, to hiss, ie Whisper a (magic) spell; generally, to
prognosticate -- X certainly, divine, enchanter, (use) X enchantment, learn by ...
/hebrew/5172.htm - 6k
3907. lachash -- to whisper, charm
... charmer, whisper together. A primitive root; to whisper; by implication, to mumble
a spell (as a magician) -- charmer, whisper (together). << 3906, 3907. ...
/hebrew/3907.htm - 6k
3784. kashaph -- to practice sorcery
... sorcerer, use witchcraft. A primitive root; properly, to whisper a spell, ie To
inchant or practise magic -- sorcerer, (use) witch(-craft). << 3783, 3784. ...
/hebrew/3784.htm - 6k