ATS Bible DictionaryAnswer
Besides the common use of this word in the sense of to reply, it is very often used in the bible, following the Hebrew and Greek idioms, in the sense of to speak; meaning simply that one begins or resumes his discourse, Zechariah 3:4; 6:4; Matthew 11:25; 12:38; Luke 7:40. It also means, to sing in choruses or responses, 1 Samuel 18:7; and to give account of one's self in judgment, Genesis 30:33; Job 9:3.
International Standard Bible EncyclopediaANSWER
an'-ser: In our English Bible the word "answer" does not always mean a simple reply to a question.
1. In the Old Testament:
Six different words are translated by answer.
(1) It is frequently used where no question has been asked and in such cases it means a word, a statement.
(2) It also means a response (Job 21:34; Job 34:36).
(3) It often means a declaration or proclamation from God where no question has been asked. See the many passages that read: "The Lord answered and said."
(4) The other words translated "answer" or "answered" in the Old Testament are unimportant shadings and variations.
2. In the New Testament:
The words translated "answer" are not so varied.
(1) It sometimes means an apology, a defense (1 Peter 3:15 Acts 24:10, 25).
(2) It may mean simply "to say" (Mark 9:6).
(3) It may mean a revelation from God (Romans 11:4).
(4) It is also used to apply to unspoken thoughts of the heart, especially in the sayings of Jesus; also by Peter to Sapphira (Acts 5:8).
G. H. Gerberding
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) To speak in defense against; to reply to in defense; as, to answer a charge; to answer an accusation.
2. (n.) To speak or write in return to, as in return to a call or question, or to a speech, declaration, argument, or the like; to reply to (a question, remark, etc.); to respond to.
3. (n.) To respond to satisfactorily; to meet successfully by way of explanation, argument, or justification, and the like; to refute.
4. (n.) To be or act in return or response to.
5. (n.) To be or act in compliance with, in fulfillment or satisfaction of, as an order, obligation, demand; as, he answered my claim upon him; the servant answered the bell.
6. (n.) To render account to or for.
7. (n.) To atone; to be punished for.
8. (n.) To be opposite to; to face.
9. (n.) To be or act an equivalent to, or as adequate or sufficient for; to serve for; to repay.
10. (n.) To be or act in accommodation, conformity, relation, or proportion to; to correspond to; to suit.
11. (v. i.) To speak or write by way of return (originally, to a charge), or in reply; to make response.
12. (v. i.) To make a satisfactory response or return.
13. (v. i.) To render account, or to be responsible; to be accountable; to make amends; as, the man must answer to his employer for the money entrusted to his care.
14. (v. i.) To be or act in return.
15. (v. i.) To be or act by way of compliance, fulfillment, reciprocation, or satisfaction; to serve the purpose; as, gypsum answers as a manure on some soils.
16. (v. i.) To be opposite, or to act in opposition.
17. (v. i.) To be or act as an equivalent, or as adequate or sufficient; as, a very few will answer.
18. (v. i.) To be or act in conformity, or by way of accommodation, correspondence, relation, or proportion; to conform; to correspond; to suit; -- usually with to.
19. (n.) A reply to a change; a defense.
20. (n.) Something said or written in reply to a question, a call, an argument, an address, or the like; a reply.
21. (n.) Something done in return for, or in consequence of, something else; a responsive action.
22. (n.) A solution, the result of a mathematical operation; as, the answer to a problem.
23. (n.) A counter-statement of facts in a course of pleadings; a confutation of what the other party has alleged; a responsive declaration by a witness in reply to a question. In Equity, it is the usual form of defense to the complainant's charges in his bill.
Strong's Hebrew6030a. anah -- to answer, respond...
<< 6030, 6030a. anah. 6030b >>. to answer
, respond. Transliteration: anah Short
Definition: answered. Word Origin a prim. root Definition ... /hebrew/6030a.htm - 6k
4617. maaneh -- an answer, response
... << 4616, 4617. maaneh. 4618 >>. an answer, response. Transliteration: maaneh
Phonetic Spelling: (mah-an-eh') Short Definition: answer. ...
/hebrew/4617.htm - 6k
8666. teshubah -- a return, answer
... << 8665, 8666. teshubah. 8667 >>. a return, answer. Transliteration: teshubah Phonetic
Spelling: (tesh-oo-baw') Short Definition: turn. ... answer, be expired, return ...
/hebrew/8666.htm - 6k
6032. anah -- to answer
... << 6031b, 6032. anah. 6033 >>. to answer. Transliteration: anah Phonetic
Spelling: (an-aw') Short Definition: answered. ... answer, speak. ...
/hebrew/6032.htm - 6k
6030. anah -- to answer, respond
... << 6029, 6030. anah. 6030a >>. to answer, respond. Transliteration: anah Phonetic
Spelling: (aw-naw') Short Definition: testify. sing, shout, testify, announce ...
/hebrew/6030.htm - 6k
6600. pithgam -- a command, word, affair
... pithgam. 6601 >>. a command, word, affair. Transliteration: pithgam Phonetic Spelling:
(pith-gawm') Short Definition: answer. ... answer, letter, matter, word. ...
/hebrew/6600.htm - 6k
7725. shub -- to turn back, return
... root Definition to turn back, return NASB Word Usage again (53), answer (4), answer*
(5), answered (5), averted (1), back (7), back again (2), bring (1), bring ...
/hebrew/7725.htm - 9k
1697. dabar -- speech, word
... NASB Word Usage account (2), account* (2), act (1), acts (52), advice (3), affair
(3), affairs (3), agreement (1), amount* (2), annals (1), answer (6), answer ...
/hebrew/1697.htm - 8k
4405. millah -- a word, speech, utterance
... Word Origin from malal Definition a word, speech, utterance NASB Word Usage answer*
(1), anything to say (1), byword (1), said (1), speaking (1), speech (5 ...
/hebrew/4405.htm - 6k
559. amar -- to utter, say
... root Definition to utter, say NASB Word Usage address (1), advised (1), answer
(2), answered (50), answers (1), ask (2), asked (4), asking (1), Asserting (1 ...
/hebrew/559.htm - 7k