International Standard Bible EncyclopediaBY
In the sense of "against" which survives only in dialectal English (compare Wright, Dialect Dict., I, 470, for examples) is the King James Version rendering of the dative emauto of 1 Corinthians 4:4 (the American Standard Revised Version renders this "against"). In classical Greek the same idiom sunoida with dative = "be conscious" or "be cognizant of" a thing.
Easton's Bible Dictionary
In the expression "by myself" (A.V., 1 Corinthians 4:4), means, as rendered in the Revised Version, "against myself."
By and byImmediately (Matthew 13:21; R.V., "straightway;" Luke 21:9).
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) In the neighborhood of; near or next to; not far from; close to; along with; as, come and sit by me.
2. (pref.) On; along; in traversing. Compare 5.
3. (pref.) Near to, while passing; hence, from one to the other side of; past; as, to go by a church.
4. (pref.) Used in specifying adjacent dimensions; as, a cabin twenty feet by forty.
5. (pref.) Against.
6. (pref.) With, as means, way, process, etc.; through means of; with aid of; through; through the act or agency of; as, a city is destroyed by fire; profit is made by commerce; to take by force.
7. (adv.) Near; in the neighborhood; present; as, there was no person by at the time.
8. (adv.) Passing near; going past; past; beyond; as, the procession has gone by; a bird flew by.
9. (adv.) Aside; as, to lay by; to put by.
10. (a.) Out of the common path; aside; -- used in composition, giving the meaning of something aside, secondary, or incidental, or collateral matter, a thing private or avoiding notice; as, by-line, by-place, by-play, by-street. It was formerly more freely used in composition than it is now; as, by-business, by-concernment, by-design, by-interest, etc.
Strong's Hebrew3187. yachas -- to enroll oneself or be enrolled by genealogy...
<< 3186, 3187. yachas. 3188 >>. to enroll oneself or be enrolled by
Transliteration: yachas Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-khas') Short Definition: genealogy ... /hebrew/3187.htm - 6k
5980. ummah -- close by, side by side with
... << 5979, 5980. ummah. 5981 >>. close by, side by side with. Transliteration: ummah
Phonetic Spelling: (oom-maw') Short Definition: alongside. ...
/hebrew/5980.htm - 6k
4481. min -- from, out of, by, by reason of, at, more than
... << 4480, 4481. min. 4482 >>. from, out of, by, by reason of, at, more than.
Transliteration: min Phonetic Spelling: (min) Short Definition: partly. ...
/hebrew/4481.htm - 6k
801. ishsheh -- an offering made by fire
... << 800, 801. ishsheh. 802 >>. an offering made by fire. Transliteration: ishsheh
Phonetic Spelling: (ish-shaw') Short Definition: fire. ...
/hebrew/801.htm - 6k
5674a. abar -- to pass over, through, or by, pass on
... << 5674, 5674a. abar. 5674b >>. to pass over, through, or by, pass on.
Transliteration: abar Short Definition: pass. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5674a.htm - 7k
3119. yomam -- daytime, by day
... << 3118, 3119. yomam. 3120 >>. daytime, by day. Transliteration: yomam Phonetic
Spelling: (yo-mawm') Short Definition: day. ... daily, by, in the daytime. ...
/hebrew/3119.htm - 6k
775. Arpakshad -- third son of Shem, also the region settled by ...
... Arpakshad. 776 >>. third son of Shem, also the region settled by him. Transliteration:
Arpakshad Phonetic Spelling: (ar-pak-shad') Short Definition: Arpachshad. ...
/hebrew/775.htm - 6k
5455. Sabteka -- a son of Cush, also the territory settled by his ...
... a son of Cush, also the territory settled by his desc. ... Word Origin probably of foreign
origin Definition a son of Cush, also the territory settled by his desc. ...
/hebrew/5455.htm - 6k
8485. Tema -- a son of Ishmael, also his desc. and the region ...
... Tema. 8486 >>. a son of Ishmael, also his desc. and the region settled by them.
Transliteration: Tema Phonetic Spelling: (tay-maw') Short Definition: Tema. ...
/hebrew/8485.htm - 6k
1215. betsa -- gain made by violence, unjust gain, profit
... << 1214, 1215. betsa. 1216 >>. gain made by violence, unjust gain, profit.
Transliteration: betsa Phonetic Spelling: (beh'-tsah) Short Definition: gain. ...
/hebrew/1215.htm - 6k