International Standard Bible EncyclopediaFIGURE
fig'-ur, fig'-yur (cemel, cemel; tupos):
The translation of cemel, or cemel, "a likeness or image"; perhaps a transposition of tselem, the usual word for likeness; it is elsewhere translated "idol" and "image" (Deuteronomy 4:16, "the similitude of any figure," the Revised Version (British and American) "in the form of any figure"); of tabhnith, "form or likeness" (Isaiah 44:13, "shapeth it (the idol). after the figure of a man"; compare Deuteronomy 4:16); of miqla`ath, "carving," "carved work" (1 Kings 6:29: "And he carved all the walls of the house round about with carved figures of cherubim and palm-trees and open flowers, within and without," only here and in 1 Kings 6:32; 1 Kings 7:31 where the word is translated "carving" and "graying"); in the New Testament "figure" is the translation of tupos, primarily "a mark," "print," "impression," "something made by blows," hence, "figure," "statue," tropically "form," "manner"; a person bearing the form or figure of another, having a certain resemblance, preceding another to come, model, exemplar (Acts 7:43), "the figures (images) which ye made to worship them"; Romans 5:14, "who is the figure (Revised Version, "a figure") of him that was to come," that is, the first Adam was a type of the second Adam, Christ; of antitupon, that which corresponds to a type or model (Hebrews 9:24 the King James Version, "Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself"); the meaning is simply the correspondence, or likeness (of the tabernacle to heaven), therefore the Revised Version (British and American) renders "like in pattern to the true" (1 Peter 3:21, "the like figure whereunto (even) baptism doth also now save us," i.e. baptism is the antitype of the ark "wherein. eight souls were saved (or brought safely) through water," Revised Version "which also after a true likeness (m "in the antitype") doth now save you even baptism"); of parabole, "a placing alongside", a "comparison," "similitude," hence, image, figure, type (Hebrews 9:9, "which was a figure for the time then present," the American Standard Revised Version "which is a figure for the time present," the English Revised Version "parable" and "(now) present," namely, the entrance of the high priest into the Holy of Holies was a type of Christ's entrance into heaven; Hebrews 11:19, "from whence (from the dead) also he received him in a figure," i.e. Abraham received Isaac back from the dead as it were, in the likeness of a resurrection, he not being actually dead, the American Standard Revised Version "from whence he did also in a figure receive him back," the English Revised Version "in a parable"); metaschematizo, "to change the form or appearance," "to transfer figuratively" (1 Corinthians 4:6,"These things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and Apollos"; the Geneva version reads "I have figuratively described in my own person"). Paul is "substituting himself and Apollos for the teachers most in repute at Corinth that he might thus avoid personality." "Figure" is supplied in Ecclesiasticus 49:9, with en ombro, "He made mention of the enemies under the figure of the rain," the Revised Version (British and American) "He remembered the enemies in storm," margin "(Greek) rain."
The Revised Version (British and American) has "a figure" margin "an interpretation," for "the interpretation" (Proverbs 1:6; the word is melitsah, only here and Habakkuk 2:6, meaning properly what is involved and needs interpretation; in Habakkuk 2:6 it is translated "taunting proverb," the Revised Version, margin "riddle"); "figured stone" for "image of stone" (Leviticus 26:1); "figured stones" for "pictures" (Numbers 33:52).
W. L. Walker
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) The form of anything; shape; outline; appearance.
2. (n.) The representation of any form, as by drawing, painting, modeling, carving, embroidering, etc.; especially, a representation of the human body; as, a figure in bronze; a figure cut in marble.
3. (n.) A pattern in cloth, paper, or other manufactured article; a design wrought out in a fabric; as, the muslin was of a pretty figure.
4. (n.) A diagram or drawing; made to represent a magnitude or the relation of two or more magnitudes; a surface or space enclosed on all sides; -- called superficial when enclosed by lines, and solid when enclosed by surface; any arrangement made up of points, lines, angles, surfaces, etc.
5. (n.) The appearance or impression made by the conduct or career of a person; as, a sorry figure.
6. (n.) Distinguished appearance; magnificence; conspicuous representation; splendor; show.
7. (n.) A character or symbol representing a number; a numeral; a digit; as, 1, 2,3, etc.
8. (n.) Value, as expressed in numbers; price; as, the goods are estimated or sold at a low figure.
9. (n.) A person, thing, or action, conceived of as analogous to another person, thing, or action, of which it thus becomes a type or representative.
10. (n.) A mode of expressing abstract or immaterial ideas by words which suggest pictures or images from the physical world; pictorial language; a trope; hence, any deviation from the plainest form of statement.
11. (n.) The form of a syllogism with respect to the relative position of the middle term.
12. (n.) Any one of the several regular steps or movements made by a dancer.
13. (n.) A horoscope; the diagram of the aspects of the astrological houses.
14. (n.) Any short succession of notes, either as melody or as a group of chords, which produce a single complete and distinct impression.
15. (n.) A form of melody or accompaniment kept up through a strain or passage; a musical or motive; a florid embellishment.
16. (n.) To represent by a figure, as to form or mold; to make an image of, either palpable or ideal; also, to fashion into a determinate form; to shape.
17. (n.) To embellish with design; to adorn with figures.
18. (n.) To indicate by numerals; also, to compute.
19. (n.) To represent by a metaphor; to signify or symbolize.
20. (n.) To prefigure; to foreshow.
21. (n.) To write over or under the bass, as figures or other characters, in order to indicate the accompanying chords.
22. (n.) To embellish.
23. (v. t.) To make a figure; to be distinguished or conspicuous; as, the envoy figured at court.
24. (v. t.) To calculate; to contrive; to scheme; as, he is figuring to secure the nomination.
Strong's Hebrew4906. maskith -- a showpiece, figure, imagination...
<< 4905b, 4906. maskith. 4907 >>. a showpiece, figure
, imagination. Transliteration:
maskith Phonetic Spelling: (mas-keeth') Short Definition: images. ... /hebrew/4906.htm - 6k
8403. tabnith -- construction, pattern, figure
... << 8402, 8403. tabnith. 8404 >>. construction, pattern, figure. Transliteration:
tabnith Phonetic Spelling: (tab-neeth') Short Definition: likeness. ...
/hebrew/8403.htm - 6k
8561. timorah -- palm (tree) figure
... << 8560, 8561. timorah. 8562 >>. palm (tree) figure. Transliteration: timorah
Phonetic Spelling: (tim-more') Short Definition: trees. ...
/hebrew/8561.htm - 6k
5566. semel -- an image, statue
... Word Origin of uncertain derivation Definition an image, statue NASB Word
Usage figure (1), idol (4). figure, idol, image. Or cemel ...
/hebrew/5566.htm - 6k
4734. miqlaath -- carving
... carved figure, carving, graving. From qala'; a sculpture (probably in bas-relief) --
carved (figure), carving, graving. see HEBREW qala'. << 4733, 4734. ...
/hebrew/4734.htm - 6k
4426. melitsah -- satire, a mocking poem
... << 4425, 4426. melitsah. 4427 >>. satire, a mocking poem. Transliteration: melitsah
Phonetic Spelling: (mel-ee-tsaw') Short Definition: figure. ...
/hebrew/4426.htm - 6k
1823. demuth -- likeness, similitude
... Word Origin from damah Definition likeness, similitude NASB Word Usage figure (1),
figures like (1), figures resembling (1), form (4), like (4), likeness (8 ...
/hebrew/1823.htm - 6k
8404. Taberah -- "burning," a place in the desert
... Word Origin from baar Definition "burning," a place in the desert NASB Word Usage
Taberah (2). figure, form, likeness, pattern, similitude. ...
/hebrew/8404.htm - 6k
8389. toar -- outline, form
... be drawn, mark out. From ta'ar; outline, ie Figure or appearance -- + beautiful,
X comely, countenance, + fair, X favoured, form, X goodly, X resemble, visage. ...
/hebrew/8389.htm - 6k
6754. tselem -- an image
... From an unused root meaning to shade; a phantom, ie (figuratively) illusion,
resemblance; hence, a representative figure, especially an idol -- image, vain shew ...
/hebrew/6754.htm - 6k