International Standard Bible EncyclopediaCUTTING OFF
See CONCISION; PUNISHMENTS.
PLUCKING OFF THE HAIR
See HAIR, 7; PUNISHMENTS.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) In a general sense, denoting from or away from; as:
2. (adv.) Denoting distance or separation; as, the house is a mile off.
3. (adv.) Denoting the action of removing or separating; separation; as, to take off the hat or cloak; to cut off, to pare off, to clip off, to peel off, to tear off, to march off, to fly off, and the like.
4. (adv.) Denoting a leaving, abandonment, departure, abatement, interruption, or remission; as, the fever goes off; the pain goes off; the game is off; all bets are off.
5. (adv.) Denoting a different direction; not on or towards: away; as, to look off.
6. (adv.) Denoting opposition or negation.
7. (interj.) Away; begone; -- a command to depart.
8. (prep.) Not on; away from; as, to be off one's legs or off the bed; two miles off the shore.
9. (a.) On the farther side; most distant; on the side of an animal or a team farthest from the driver when he is on foot; in the United States, the right side; as, the off horse or ox in a team, in distinction from the nigh or near horse or ox; the off leg.
10. (a.) Designating a time when one is not strictly attentive to business or affairs, or is absent from his post, and, hence, a time when affairs are not urgent; as, he took an off day for fishing: an off year in politics.
11. (n.) The side of the field that is on the right of the wicket keeper.
Strong's Hebrew7096. qatsah -- to cut off...
<< 7095, 7096. qatsah. 7097 >>. to cut off
. Transliteration: qatsah Phonetic Spelling:
(kaw-tsaw') Short Definition: off
. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/7096.htm - 6k
6584. pashat -- to strip off, make a dash, raid
... << 6583, 6584. pashat. 6585 >>. to strip off, make a dash, raid. Transliteration:
pashat Phonetic Spelling: (paw-shat') Short Definition: strip. Word Origin a prim ...
/hebrew/6584.htm - 6k
3772. karath -- to cut off, cut down
... << 3771, 3772. karath. 3773 >>. to cut off, cut down. Transliteration: karath Phonetic
Spelling: (kaw-rath') Short Definition: off. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/3772.htm - 6k
5423. nathaq -- to pull, draw, or tear away, apart, or off
... nathaq. 5424 >>. to pull, draw, or tear away, apart, or off. Transliteration: nathaq
Phonetic Spelling: (naw-thak') Short Definition: away. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5423.htm - 6k
1214. batsa -- to cut off, break off, gain by violence
... batsa. 1215 >>. to cut off, break off, gain by violence. Transliteration: batsa
Phonetic Spelling: (baw-tsah') Short Definition: greedy. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/1214.htm - 6k
5394. nashal -- to slip or drop off, draw off, clear away
... nashal. 5395 >>. to slip or drop off, draw off, clear away. Transliteration: nashal
Phonetic Spelling: (naw-shal') Short Definition: remove. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5394.htm - 6k
8025. shalaph -- to draw out or off
... << 8024, 8025. shalaph. 8026 >>. to draw out or off. Transliteration: shalaph Phonetic
Spelling: (saw-laf') Short Definition: draw. ... draw off, grow up, pluck off. ...
/hebrew/8025.htm - 6k
7112. qatsats -- cut off
... << 7111, 7112. qatsats. 7113 >>. cut off. Transliteration: qatsats Phonetic Spelling:
(kaw-tsats') Short Definition: off. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/7112.htm - 6k
7082. qasas -- to strip off
... qasas. 7083 >>. to strip off. Transliteration: qasas Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-sas')
Short Definition: off. ... root Definition to strip off NASB Word Usage cut off (1 ...
/hebrew/7082.htm - 5k
1548. galach -- to be bald, shave, shave off
... << 1547, 1548. galach. 1549 >>. to be bald, shave, shave off. Transliteration: galach
Phonetic Spelling: (gaw-lakh') Short Definition: shave. Word Origin a prim ...
/hebrew/1548.htm - 6k