Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) Above, or higher than, in place or position, with the idea of covering; -- opposed to under; as, clouds are over our heads; the smoke rises over the city.
2. (prep.) Across; from side to side of; -- implying a passing or moving, either above the substance or thing, or on the surface of it; as, a dog leaps over a stream or a table.
3. (prep.) Upon the surface of, or the whole surface of; hither and thither upon; throughout the whole extent of; as, to wander over the earth; to walk over a field, or over a city.
4. (prep.) Above; -- implying superiority in excellence, dignity, condition, or value; as, the advantages which the Christian world has over the heathen.
5. (prep.) Above in authority or station; -- implying government, direction, care, attention, guard, responsibility, etc.; -- opposed to under.
6. (prep.) Across or during the time of; from beginning to end of; as, to keep anything over night; to keep corn over winter.
7. (prep.) Above the perpendicular height or length of, with an idea of measurement; as, the water, or the depth of water, was over his head, over his shoes.
8. (prep.) Beyond; in excess of; in addition to; more than; as, it cost over five dollars.
9. (prep.) Above, implying superiority after a contest; in spite of; notwithstanding; as, he triumphed over difficulties; the bill was passed over the veto.
10. (adv.) From one side to another; from side to side; across; crosswise; as, a board, or a tree, a foot over, i. e., a foot in diameter.
11. (adv.) From one person or place to another regarded as on the opposite side of a space or barrier; -- used with verbs of motion; as, to sail over to England; to hand over the money; to go over to the enemy.
12. (adv.) Also, with verbs of being: At, or on, the opposite side; as, the boat is over.
13. (adv.) From beginning to end; throughout the course, extent, or expanse of anything; as, to look over accounts, or a stock of goods; a dress covered over with jewels.
14. (adv.) From inside to outside, above or across the brim.
15. (adv.) Beyond a limit; hence, in excessive degree or quantity; superfluously; with repetition; as, to do the whole work over.
16. (adv.) In a manner to bring the under side to or towards the top; as, to turn (one's self) over; to roll a stone over; to turn over the leaves; to tip over a cart.
17. (adv.) At an end; beyond the limit of continuance; completed; finished.
18. (a.) Upper; covering; higher; superior; also, excessive; too much or too great; -- chiefly used in composition; as, overshoes, overcoat, over-garment, overlord, overwork, overhaste.
19. (n.) A certain number of balls (usually four) delivered successively from behind one wicket, after which the ball is bowled from behind the other wicket as many times, the fielders changing places.
Strong's Hebrew5674a. abar -- to pass over, through, or by, pass on...
<< 5674, 5674a. abar. 5674b >>. to pass over
, through, or by, pass on.
Transliteration: abar Short Definition: pass. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/5674a.htm - 7k
5674. abar -- to pass over, through, or by, pass on
... << 5673, 5674. abar. 5674a >>. to pass over, through, or by, pass on. Transliteration:
abar Phonetic Spelling: (aw-bar') Short Definition: alienate. ...
/hebrew/5674.htm - 6k
5921. al -- upon, above, over
... << 5920, 5921. al. 5922 >>. upon, above, over. Transliteration: al Phonetic
Spelling: (al) Short Definition: over. Word Origin from alah ...
/hebrew/5921.htm - 8k
5736. adaph -- to remain over, be in excess
... to remain over, be in excess. Transliteration: adaph Phonetic Spelling: (aw-daf')
Short Definition: excess. ... be more, odd number, be have over and above, remain. ...
/hebrew/5736.htm - 6k
6287a. peer -- to go over the boughs
... << 6287, 6287a. peer. 6287b >>. to go over the boughs. Transliteration: peer
Short Definition: over. Word Origin denominative verb from ...
/hebrew/6287a.htm - 5k
3498. yathar -- to remain over
... << 3497, 3498. yathar. 3499 >>. to remain over. Transliteration: yathar Phonetic
Spelling: (yaw-thar') Short Definition: left. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/3498.htm - 6k
5922. al -- upon, over, above
... << 5921, 5922. al. 5923 >>. upon, over, above. Transliteration: al Phonetic
Spelling: (al) Short Definition: over. Word Origin (Aramaic ...
/hebrew/5922.htm - 6k
6452. pacach -- to pass or spring over
... pacach. 6452a >>. to pass or spring over. Transliteration: pacach Phonetic Spelling:
(paw-sakh') Short Definition: halt. halt, become lame, leap, pass over ...
/hebrew/6452.htm - 5k
1166. baal -- to marry, rule over
... baal. 1167 >>. to marry, rule over. Transliteration: baal Phonetic Spelling:
(baw-al') Short Definition: married. ... have dominion over, be husband, married, wife. ...
/hebrew/1166.htm - 6k
3717. kaphal -- to double, double over
... << 3716b, 3717. kaphal. 3718 >>. to double, double over. Transliteration: kaphal
Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-fal') Short Definition: double. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/3717.htm - 6k