International Standard Bible EncyclopediaINWARD PART
A symbolic expression in the Old Testament represented by three Hebrew words: chedher, "chamber," hence, inmost bowels or breast; tuchoth, "the reins"; qerebh, "midst," "middle," hence, heart. Once in the New Testament (esothen, "from within," Luke 11:39). The viscera (heart, liver, kidneys) were supposed by the ancients to be the seat of the mind, feelings, affections: the highest organs of the psyche, "the soul." The term includes the intellect ("wisdom in the inward parts," Job 38:36); the moral nature ("inward part is very wickedness," Psalm 5:9); the spiritual ("my law in their inward parts," Jeremiah 31:33). Its adverbial equivalent in Biblical use is "inwardly." INWARD MAN (which see) is identical in meaning.
Dwight M. Pratt
part: "to part" as a verb is no longer in good use (except in a few special phrases, compare Ruth 1:17), but is obscure only in Proverbs 18:18, where the meaning is "break up their quarrel" (compare 2 Samuel 14:6). the Revised Version (British and American) has not changed the King James Version's usage, except (strangely) in 1 Samuel 30:24, where "share" is written. For the noun see PORTION.
por'-shun: As far as a distinction between these words is possible in English, it lies in the fact that a "portion" is a "part" about whose destiny something is implied (Psalm 142:5, etc.). The Hebrew has no two synonyms similarly related, and in consequence the use of the words in English Versions of the Bible is settled either by rather arbitrary considerations (menah, is always "portion" in the Revised Version (British and American), but is "part" in the King James Version, Exodus 29:26 Leviticus 7:33; Leviticus 8:29) or by the context, irrespective of the Hebrew word used. So "part" and "portion" both represent dabhar, 1 Kings 6:38 Nehemiah 12:47; peh, Zechariah 13:8 Deuteronomy 21:17; chebhel, Joshua 17:5 (Revised Version); Ezekiel 47:13; meros, Luke 11:36; Luke 12:46. And in the vast majority of cases in the Old Testament both words represent simply some derivative of chalaq, normally the noun cheleq.
Burton Scott Easton
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) One of the portions, equal or unequal, into which anything is divided, or regarded as divided; something less than a whole; a number, quantity, mass, or the like, regarded as going to make up, with others, a larger number, quantity, mass, etc., whether actually separate or not; a piece; a fragment; a fraction; a division; a member; a constituent.
2. (n.) An equal constituent portion; one of several or many like quantities, numbers, etc., into which anything is divided, or of which it is composed; proportional division or ingredient.
3. (n.) A constituent portion of a living or spiritual whole; a member; an organ; an essential element.
4. (n.) A constituent of character or capacity; quality; faculty; talent; -- usually in the plural with a collective sense.
5. (n.) Quarter; region; district; -- usually in the plural.
6. (n.) Such portion of any quantity, as when taken a certain number of times, will exactly make that quantity; as, 3 is a part of 12; -- the opposite of multiple. Also, a line or other element of a geometrical figure.
7. (n.) That which belongs to one, or which is assumed by one, or which falls to one, in a division or apportionment; share; portion; lot; interest; concern; duty; office.
8. (n.) One of the opposing parties or sides in a conflict or a controversy; a faction.
9. (n.) A particular character in a drama or a play; an assumed personification; also, the language, actions, and influence of a character or an actor in a play; or, figuratively, in real life. See To act a part, under Act.
10. (n.) One of the different melodies of a concerted composition, which heard in union compose its harmony; also, the music for each voice or instrument; as, the treble, tenor, or bass part; the violin part, etc.
11. (n.) To divide; to separate into distinct parts; to break into two or more parts or pieces; to sever.
12. (n.) To divide into shares; to divide and distribute; to allot; to apportion; to share.
13. (n.) To separate or disunite; to cause to go apart; to remove from contact or contiguity; to sunder.
14. (n.) Hence: To hold apart; to stand between; to intervene betwixt, as combatants.
15. (n.) To separate by a process of extraction, elimination, or secretion; as, to part gold from silver.
16. (n.) To leave; to quit.
17. (v. i.) To be broken or divided into parts or pieces; to break; to become separated; to go asunder; as, rope parts; his hair parts in the middle.
18. (v. i.) To go away; to depart; to take leave; to quit each other; hence, to die; -- often with from.
19. (v. i.) To perform an act of parting; to relinquish a connection of any kind; -- followed by with or from.
20. (v. i.) To have a part or share; to partake.
21. (adv.) Partly; in a measure.
Strong's Hebrew268. achor -- the hind side, back part...
<< 267, 268. achor. 269 >>. the hind side, back part
. Transliteration: achor
Phonetic Spelling: (aw-khore') Short Definition: back. Word ... /hebrew/268.htm - 6k
7130. qereb -- inward part, midst
... << 7129, 7130. qereb. 7131 >>. inward part, midst. Transliteration: qereb
Phonetic Spelling: (keh'-reb) Short Definition: midst. Word ...
/hebrew/7130.htm - 6k
7253. reba -- fourth part, four sides (pl.)
... << 7252, 7253. reba. 7254 >>. fourth part, four sides (pl.). Transliteration: reba
Phonetic Spelling: (reh'-bah) Short Definition: sides. ... fourth part, side, square ...
/hebrew/7253.htm - 6k
4643. maaser -- tenth part, tithe
... tenth part, tithe. Transliteration: maaser or maasar or maasrah Phonetic Spelling:
(mah-as-ayr') Short Definition: tithe. ... tenth part, titheing. ...
/hebrew/4643.htm - 6k
905. bad -- separation, a part
... << 904, 905. bad. 906 >>. separation, a part. Transliteration: bad Phonetic
Spelling: (bad) Short Definition: alone. Word Origin from ...
/hebrew/905.htm - 6k
1335. bether -- a part, piece
... bether. 1336 >>. a part, piece. Transliteration: bether Phonetic Spelling:
(beh'-ther) Short Definition: parts. ... part, piece. From bathar; a section -- part, ...
/hebrew/1335.htm - 6k
1506. gezer -- part
... << 1505, 1506. gezer. 1507 >>. part. Transliteration: gezer Phonetic Spelling:
(gheh'-zer) Short Definition: asunder. Word ... 1). part, piece. ...
/hebrew/1506.htm - 6k
4490. manah -- part, portion
... manah. 4491 >>. part, portion. Transliteration: manah Phonetic Spelling: (maw-naw')
Short Definition: portions. ... such things as belonged, part, portion. ...
/hebrew/4490.htm - 6k
2872. tabbur -- highest part, center
... << 2871, 2872. tabbur. 2873 >>. highest part, center. Transliteration: tabbur
Phonetic Spelling: (tab-boor') Short Definition: center. ...
/hebrew/2872.htm - 6k
2513b. chelqah -- smooth part, smoothness, flattery
... << 2513a, 2513b. chelqah. 2514 >>. smooth part, smoothness, flattery.
Transliteration: chelqah Short Definition: flattering. Word Origin ...
/hebrew/2513b.htm - 5k