International Standard Bible EncyclopediaIN
A principal thing to notice about this preposition, which in the King James Version represents about 16 Hebrew and as many Greek words and prepositions, is that, in hundreds of cases (especially in the Old Testament, but frequently also in the New Testament) in the Revised Version (British and American) the rendering is changed to more exact forms ("to," "unto," "by," "upon," "at," "with," "among," "for," "throughout," etc.; compare e.g. Genesis 6:16; Genesis 13:8; Genesis 17:7, 9, 12; 18:1 Exodus 8:17 Leviticus 1:9, etc.); while, nearly as often, "in" is substituted for divergent forms of the King James Version (e.g. Genesis 2:14; Genesis 17:11; Genesis 31:54; Genesis 40:7; Genesis 49:17 Exodus 8:14, 24 Leviticus 3:17; Leviticus 4:2, etc.). The chief Greek preposition en, is frequently adhered to as "in" in the Revised Version (British and American) where the King James Version has other forms ("with," "among," etc.; compare "in" for "with" in John's baptism, Matthew 3:11, and parallel; "in the tombs" for "among the tombs," Mark 5:3). In 2 Thessalonians 2:2, "shaken in mind" in the King James Version is more correctly rendered in the Revised Version (British and American) "shaken from (apo) your mind." There are numerous such instructive changes.
IN THE LORD
(en Kurio): A favorite Pauline expression, denoting that intimate union and fellowship of the Christian with the Lord Jesus Christ which supplies the basis of all Christian relations and conduct, and the distinctive element in which the Christian life has its specific character. Compare the synonymous Pauline phrases, "in Christ," "in Christ Jesus," and the Johannine expressions, "being in Christ," "abiding in Christ." "In the Lord" denotes: (1) the motive, quality, or character of a Christian duty or virtue, as based on union with Christ, e.g. "Free to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord" (1 Corinthians 7:39), i.e. provided the marriage be consistent with the Christian life. Compare 1 Corinthians 15:58 Philippians 3:1; Philippians 4:1, 2, 4, 10 Ephesians 6:1, 10 Colossians 3:18, etc.; (2) the ground of Christian unity, fellowship, and brotherly salutation, e.g. Romans 16:2, 8, 22 1 Corinthians 16:19; Colossians 4:7; (3) it is often practically synonymous with "Christian" (noun or adjective), "as Christians" or "as a Christian," e.g. "Salute them of the household of Narcissus, that are in the Lord," i.e. that are Christians (Romans 16:11); "I. the prisoner in the Lord," i.e. the Christian prisoner (Ephesians 4:1); compare Romans 16:13 1 Corinthians 9:1, 2; Ephesians 6:21 ("faithful minister in the Lord" = faithful Christian minister); Colossians 4:17 (see Grimm-Thayer, Lex. of New Testament, en, I, 6).
D. Miall Edwards
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) The specific signification of in is situation or place with respect to surrounding, environment, encompassment, etc. It is used with verbs signifying being, resting, or moving within limits, or within circumstances or conditions of any kind conceived of as limiting, confining, or investing, either wholly or in part. In its different applications, it approaches some of the meanings of, and sometimes is interchangeable with, within, into, on, at, of, and among.
2. (prep.) With reference to space or place; as, he lives in Boston; he traveled in Italy; castles in the air.
3. (prep.) With reference to circumstances or conditions; as, he is in difficulties; she stood in a blaze of light.
4. (prep.) With reference to a whole which includes or comprises the part spoken of; as, the first in his family; the first regiment in the army.
5. (prep.) With reference to physical surrounding, personal states, etc., abstractly denoted; as, I am in doubt; the room is in darkness; to live in fear.
6. (prep.) With reference to character, reach, scope, or influence considered as establishing a limitation; as, to be in one's favor.
7. (prep.) With reference to movement or tendency toward a certain limit or environment; -- sometimes equivalent to into; as, to put seed in the ground; to fall in love; to end in death; to put our trust in God.
8. (prep.) With reference to a limit of time; as, in an hour; it happened in the last century; in all my life.
9. (adv.) Not out; within; inside. In, the preposition, becomes an adverb by omission of its object, leaving it as the representative of an adverbial phrase, the context indicating what the omitted object is; as, he takes in the situation (i. e., he comprehends it in his mind); the Republicans were in (i. e., in office); in at one ear and out at the other (i. e., in or into the head); his side was in (i. e., in the turn at the bat); he came in (i. e., into the house).
10. (adv.) With privilege or possession; -- used to denote a holding, possession, or seizing; as, in by descent; in by purchase; in of the seizing of her husband.
11. (n.) One who is in office; -- the opposite of out.
12. (n.) A reentrant angle; a nook or corner.
13. (v. t.) To enclose; to take in; to harvest.
14. (n.) A suffix.
Strong's Hebrew935. bo -- to come in, come, go in, go...
<< 934, 935. bo. 936 >>. to come in
, come, go in
, go. Transliteration: bo Phonetic
Spelling: (bo) Short Definition: come. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/935.htm - 8k
693. arab -- to lie in wait
... << 692, 693. arab. 694 >>. to lie in wait. Transliteration: arab Phonetic Spelling:
(aw-rab') Short Definition: ambush. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/693.htm - 6k
6342. pachad -- to dread, be in dread or in awe
... pachad. 6343 >>. to dread, be in dread or in awe. Transliteration: pachad Phonetic
Spelling: (paw-kkad') Short Definition: dread. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/6342.htm - 6k
6186a. arak -- to arrange or set in order
... << 6186, 6186a. arak. 6186b >>. to arrange or set in order. Transliteration:
arak Short Definition: arrayed. Word Origin a prim. root ...
/hebrew/6186a.htm - 6k
5954. alal -- to go or come in
... << 5953d, 5954. alal. 5955 >>. to go or come in. Transliteration: alal Phonetic
Spelling: (al-al') Short Definition: brought. ... bring in, come in, go in. ...
/hebrew/5954.htm - 6k
6186. arak -- to arrange or set in order
... << 6185, 6186. arak. 6186a >>. to arrange or set in order. Transliteration:
arak Phonetic Spelling: (aw-rak') Short Definition: array. ...
/hebrew/6186.htm - 5k
7665. shabar -- to break, break in pieces
... << 7664, 7665. shabar. 7666 >>. to break, break in pieces. Transliteration: shabar
Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-bar') Short Definition: broken. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/7665.htm - 6k
876. Beer -- "well," a place in the desert, also one in Palestine
... << 875, 876. Beer. 877 >>. "well," a place in the desert, also one in Palestine.
Transliteration: Beer Phonetic Spelling: (be-ayr') Short Definition: Beer. ...
/hebrew/876.htm - 6k
1657. Goshen -- a district in Egypt, also a city in S. Judah
... << 1656, 1657. Goshen. 1658 >>. a district in Egypt, also a city in S. Judah.
Transliteration: Goshen Phonetic Spelling: (go'-shen) Short Definition: Goshen. ...
/hebrew/1657.htm - 6k
2655. chaphets -- delighting in, having pleasure in
... << 2654b, 2655. chaphets. 2656 >>. delighting in, having pleasure in. Transliteration:
chaphets Phonetic Spelling: (khaw-fates') Short Definition: delight. ...
/hebrew/2655.htm - 6k