Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (v. t.
) To care; to desire.
2. (v. t.) To hold; to restrain from departure or removal; not to let go of; to retain in one's power or possession; not to lose; to retain; to detain.
3. (v. t.) To cause to remain in a given situation or condition; to maintain unchanged; to hold or preserve in any state or tenor.
4. (v. t.) To have in custody; to have in some place for preservation; to take charge of.
5. (v. t.) To preserve from danger, harm, or loss; to guard.
6. (v. t.) To preserve from discovery or publicity; not to communicate, reveal, or betray, as a secret.
7. (v. t.) To attend upon; to have the care of; to tend.
8. (v. t.) To record transactions, accounts, or events in; as, to keep books, a journal, etc. ; also, to enter (as accounts, records, etc.) in a book.
9. (v. t.) To maintain, as an establishment, institution, or the like; to conduct; to manage; as, to keep store.
10. (v. t.) To supply with necessaries of life; to entertain; as, to keep boarders.
11. (v. t.) To have in one's service; to have and maintain, as an assistant, a servant, a mistress, a horse, etc.
12. (v. t.) To have habitually in stock for sale.
13. (v. t.) To continue in, as a course or mode of action; not to intermit or fall from; to hold to; to maintain; as, to keep silence; to keep one's word; to keep possession.
14. (v. t.) To observe; to adhere to; to fulfill; not to swerve from or violate; to practice or perform, as duty; not to neglect; to be faithful to.
15. (v. t.) To confine one's self to; not to quit; to remain in; as, to keep one's house, room, bed, etc. ; hence, to haunt; to frequent.
16. (v. t.) To observe duty, as a festival, etc. ; to celebrate; to solemnize; as, to keep a feast.
17. (v. i.) To remain in any position or state; to continue; to abide; to stay; as, to keep at a distance; to keep aloft; to keep near; to keep in the house; to keep before or behind; to keep in favor; to keep out of company, or out reach.
18. (v. i.) To last; to endure; to remain unimpaired.
19. (v. i.) To reside for a time; to lodge; to dwell.
20. (v. i.) To take care; to be solicitous; to watch.
21. (v. i.) To be in session; as, school keeps to-day.
22. (n.) The act or office of keeping; custody; guard; care; heed; charge.
23. (n.) The state of being kept; hence, the resulting condition; case; as, to be in good keep.
24. (n.) The means or provisions by which one is kept; maintenance; support; as, the keep of a horse.
25. (n.) That which keeps or protects; a stronghold; a fortress; a castle; specifically, the strongest and securest part of a castle, often used as a place of residence by the lord of the castle, especially during a siege; the donjon.
26. (n.) That which is kept in charge; a charge.
27. (n.) A cap for retaining anything, as a journal box, in place.
Strong's Hebrew8104. shamar -- to keep, watch, preserve...
<< 8103, 8104. shamar. 8105 >>. to keep
, watch, preserve. Transliteration: shamar
Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-mar') Short Definition: keep
. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/8104.htm - 7k
2013. has -- hush! keep silence!
... has or has. 2014 >>. hush! keep silence! ... keep silence! NASB Word Usage keep quiet
(1), keep silence (1), quieted (1), silence (1), silent (3), still (1). ...
/hebrew/2013.htm - 6k
6822. tsaphah -- to look out or about, spy, keep watch
... tsaphah. 6823 >>. to look out or about, spy, keep watch. Transliteration: tsaphah
Phonetic Spelling: (tsaw-faw') Short Definition: watchman. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/6822.htm - 6k
5341. natsar -- to watch, guard, keep
... << 5340b, 5341. natsar. 5342 >>. to watch, guard, keep. Transliteration: natsar
Phonetic Spelling: (naw-tsar') Short Definition: observe. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5341.htm - 6k
2287. chagag -- to make a pilgrimage, keep a pilgrim feast
... << 2286b, 2287. chagag. 2288 >>. to make a pilgrimage, keep a pilgrim feast.
Transliteration: chagag Phonetic Spelling: (khaw-gag') Short Definition: celebrate. ...
/hebrew/2287.htm - 6k
5202. netar -- to keep
... netar. 5203 >>. to keep. Transliteration: netar Phonetic Spelling: (net-ar') Short
Definition: kept. ... keep. (Aramaic) corresponding to natar; to retain -- keep. ...
/hebrew/5202.htm - 6k
5201. natar -- to keep
... << 5200, 5201. natar. 5202 >>. to keep. Transliteration: natar Phonetic Spelling:
(naw-tar') Short Definition: angry. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5201.htm - 6k
5640. satham -- to stop up, shut up, keep close
... satham or satham. 5641 >>. to stop up, shut up, keep close. Transliteration: satham
or satham Phonetic Spelling: (saw-tham') Short Definition: stopped. ...
/hebrew/5640.htm - 6k
1692. dabaq -- to cling, cleave, keep close
... << 1691b, 1692. dabaq. 1693 >>. to cling, cleave, keep close. Transliteration: dabaq
Phonetic Spelling: (daw-bak') Short Definition: cling. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/1692.htm - 6k
7673b. shabath -- to keep, observe (sabbath)
... << 7673a, 7673b. shabath. 7674 >>. to keep, observe (sabbath). Transliteration:
shabath Short Definition: have. Word Origin denominative ...
/hebrew/7673b.htm - 5k